Evie's been spayed today. Need some help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernAutumn

Autumn - Administrator
Reaction score
Hey everybunny!

Cross those eyes, tails, whiskers, paws, what-have-you tomorrow morning at 8 AM!
Small cranberry-loving princess will come out as less complete than she went in, and hopefully a less poopy bunny.

Her lovin' husbun Stuart will be going with her, much to his displeasure. I don't know how he plans to keep busy for 6-8 hours, but I'm sure he'll find something to do...

(seriously, should I send him with a pile of things to do?)

So sweet that they're going together! I don't know how you'd keep him occupied. With my guys on long car trips I just make sure they have hay and a toy (they usually bury the toy in the litter in the box instead of playing).

Good Luck Evie!!!! Don't fight your mom when she tries to give you your pain meds and antibiotics :)

Seriously, Alaska fought me tooth and nail when it came time to syringe her her meds. Towards the end all she had to do was hear me rustle the bag that her stuff was in and she would start running and thumping! Good luck to you!

Dropped them off an hour ago. Too funny; Evie only snuggles when she's scared. She pressed herself right into my coat while getting weighed, then huddled up with Stuart (who's looking pretty bug-eyed himself).

There was an error on the form from last tie, listing her weight as 3.2 pounds. We weighed her this morning, and she clocks in at 1.7. Really glad we caught that, or ...:(

Had the "if you kill my girl, what happens" conversation again. No charge.

Bought additional pain meds... will be pickingEvie and Stuartup at abut 3:30, 4 pm.

Cross those whiskers!

Whiskers, paws and ears all crossed here! I'm sure she'll be fine! :)

It's great that she's got Stuart with her as well to keep her company! :)

:clover:

Evie came home from the vet about an hour ago. She's looking really shaky, and is quivering a lot. Kind of staring out into space.

Is refusing cranberries:shock:

I asked the vet for pain meds, but he refused, stating that he wouldn't want to damage her kidneys...:?

Stuart is sticking close by, bathing her face and ears frequently...

Am I just paranoid? She looks really upset.

As well, I was told to cleanse the area with peroxide daily. I thought I read another thread just a while ago saying, no peroxide for bunnies???

Poor unhappy little girl. She looks super sad.

Nate was saying that they use children's tylenol for the lab rats to dull their pain...?

Be careful. The doe I had spayed last week was given a long acting pain med before she left the vet. You have to make sure she wasn't given anything before you give her more. The shakyness and staring into space could come from the anesthesia wearing off.

She may not feel like eating much for a few hours. I put a nice fluffy towel for her to sit on, that she could snuggle into. Keep her belly warm. Give her quiet time to rest and recoup.

Does she have external stitches? I wouldn't use peroxide to clean the skin with. I use a dilute Vanodine or betadine solution.

Ugh, your vet should have major surgery and not be given pain meds. :(

Do NOT use peroxide and do NOT use Tylenol.

Best to try Baby Motrin, I give my 2 lb-ers about a quarter of a tab. It must be taken with a little food and water, though, so maybe try and mix it with a little canned pumpkin and give her a little syringe full, that should be enough.

Most importantly -- keep her warm! Surgery causes the temp to drop and that makes everything worse.

Either put her on a well wrapped heating pad and/or give her a sock full of rice or beans heated in the microwave, and keep her in a warm area.

sas :clover:

Thanks girls...

Will get the heat going, and get the heating pad. She just ate a cranberry after I droppped it in the hay, so maybe I'm getting punished right now.

Will give it a few more hours before doing baby motrin...

OHhhh! You might be getting bunny attitude! How DARE you take her to that place and leave her! LOL!

Tumble the towel in a clothes dryer if you can... makes it nice and warm.

Great advice re: the warm towel, and good plan to wait a few hours for the Motrin, the shot she probably got is supposed to last 24 hours but it I've never known it to last more than 12. Motrin is very similar to Meloxicam/Meticam which is an NSAID usually prescribed for rabbits with pain and inflammation about 12 hours after the post-surgery shot.

PS: The pain med/kidney issue can be dealt with by making sure she has lots of water (and a little food), it's only a problem for dehydrated rabbits and those with existing renal problems.

Don't use the Baytril unless there's an infection, and even then it should be with instructions from the vet. You can't stop and re-start or administer antibiotics for less than the prescribed time frame or the rabbit will become resistant. (Which is why over-used Baytril is fast losing its beneficial properties as a rabbit antibiotic).

I'll backtrack on the peroxide. It can be beneficial used to clean around the edges of a wound but it shouldn't be administered into an open wound, so cleaning around her incision is fine.

sas :rose:

Latest posts

Back