Ever heard of this breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfonz

Reaction score
I came across a couple of really adorable babiesthe other day. I never heard of "Old English" rabbits before,and I was wondering if any of you heard of them too. I'veheard of English Spots, and English lops but not old English.I'll send a picture if I get a chance in the next couple days, buttheyre really small, grayish with random white markings. Theyalmost resemble Netherland dwarves, but not as small. Anyideas?

thanks, Kat.

Hi Kat,

I'm from Yorkshire in England and the 'English' rabbit is a verypopular breed over here. They are small-ish bunnies, with upright ears,and almost resemble wild hares.

I will post a pic as soon as possible

yer ive heard of them! they are quite common here in england!

i guess if your not from england you may not have heard of them! :elephant:

not qutie sure what they look like but does this rabbit look like onenot sure if this is an old enlgish or a different kind of english

018cb64f.jpg

quite a large rabbit and quite hare like very long features and big feet!

Was it in a petshop? As far as I'm aware thereisn't an 'old english' breed and it doesn't sound like any of the otherenglish breeds by the description. Most likely it was a made up name.Pet shop do that lots over here I guess they think it makes them soundrare so more sales.

Tam

the bun in the photo looks like an English Spot(or mabe a Rex with English Spot markings?) to me - that's the name weuse in the US, at least.

ec wrote:
thebun in the photo looks like an English Spot (or mabe a Rex with EnglishSpot markings?) to me - that's the name we use in the US, at least.

well i was sold her, as that is my Daisy, as a mini lop from a pet shopas a sister of Dandy my other rabbit althoguh they look nothing alikenow. when i first got them they looked the same botht had their ears upsame size but different colours and markings. as Daisy grew up wealways thought she was very hare like but now she is a fully grownadult she looks slightly less hare like as she has put on weight so shedoesnt look so long and thin!

I have seen mention of the Old English Europeanbreed (a large breed of rabbit) that is now extinct. Withoutseeing photos, I'm with Tam on the fact that the pet store probablyconjured up the name.

Pam

Back