Ever find you rarely get what you want?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I've been told that there is a "Murphy's Law of Breeding" that seems to go something like this:

"You never get the color or sex you want the most in the nestbox... and if you get it.... it will be a fader or have some major dq to it.."

Do you find this to be true?

I will admit I'm pleased with one litter right now - I bred two black otters and wound up with black otter, blue otter, chocolate otter and what we think is chocolate tort otter (can't find it in books but I've been told by breeders that is what it has to be - it looks orange to me).  I'm pleased as I think they're all girls (till the gender fairy visits).

But usually - the best in the litter is a buck (which I don't need) or maybe has a slight mismark....or whatever.

I guess I'd just like to think I'm not alone in having this type of luck...

Peg

There's something wrong with the water at my house, I haven't had many litters born at my house, but the average is 85% bucks and 15% does. I have so many requests for does and I will get a litter of 7 kits and it will be 6 bucks and one doe! go figure :bunnydance: I think they do it just to tick me off, I bet after I send them to their new homes they gender switch to does.

Julia

There's nothing more exciting and fustrating then sexing kits for the first time. You are excited to find out what you, fustrated to find out you didn't get what you wanted, and then embarressed you have to email all those people on your waiting list and let them know you won't have any does for sale, "would you like a buck instead? please? Please take a buck!?!?" lol. I also like to do trio deals with some litters, two bucks and a doe,
;)

:yes: :disgust::foreheadsmack:

note the range of emotions there. lol.

Oh I have the same trouble... i found a great chocolate Dutch in a litter a couple months back. The little "doe" was perfect... I made arrangements for "her" to be bred at the 4-H show with a new chocolate buck. Well, after I send out 4-H papers and everything saying that I have a junior doe going to compete, right after that, I find out it's a buck!!!

(Although, he's still my favorite...)

Latest posts

Back