Evaluating MR

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcohen1982

Reaction score
I had my very first litter about a little over 6 weeks ago. I was wondering at what age is the earliest that I should evaluate a kit to show, or sell?

Thanks,

Rachel

I usually do my first evaluation at 8 weeks of age, but with my past experience, I've found that my line develops more around 12 to 16 weeks.

I say, if you can keep em as long as possible, go for it in order to see who matures. There are obvious signs of who could go to the pet market - ears over required length, not a lot of coloration on brokens, and other obvious DQs, etc.

I would still advertise them at 6 to 8 weeks of age though, and at least know which ones you are watching for pet and show, that way if you get interested buyers, you at least have somewhat of an idea of which will be the right rabbit for them. ;)

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
I usually do my first evaluation at 8 weeks of age, but with my past experience, I've found that my line develops more around 12 to 16 weeks.

I say, if you can keep em as long as possible, go for it in order to see who matures. There are obvious signs of who could go to the pet market - ears over required length, not a lot of coloration on brokens, and other obvious DQs, etc.

I would still advertise them at 6 to 8 weeks of age though, and at least know which ones you are watching for pet and show, that way if you get interested buyers, you at least have somewhat of an idea of which will be the right rabbit for them. ;)

Emily

They both are SO long in the ears. They go past their nose. Are they still growing into them, or should I pet them out?

Rachel

How old are they? 6-ish weeks?
I would let them grow out till about 8 weeks, and if they are still really long, then pet 'em out. ;) Measure them though, and if they are longer than desired, they aren' going to get any shorter. lol.

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
How old are they? 6-ish weeks?
I would let them grow out till about 8 weeks, and if they are still really long, then pet 'em out. ;) Measure them though, and if they are longer than desired, they aren' going to get any shorter. lol.

Emily

Yes, they are 6 weeks. They both measure at exactly 3". What is the 'average' good length for a MR?

Thanks

Rachel

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
I'd love to see some pictures of them! :)

And your welcome!

Emily

Here are some pictures. Sorry it took so long, but today has been kinda crazy. :) I am still learning how to pose, so if it is not correct, PLEASE tell me so I can correct it and get better. Thank you. Please critique also, I would love to know what everybody thinks.

Ziva-6 week old broken black doe

Ziva-front-12-23-10.jpg

Ziva-top-12-23-10.jpg

Ziva-back-12-23-10.jpg

Laila-6 week old black doe

Laila-front-12-23-10.jpg

Laila-top-12-23-10.jpg

Laila-12-23-10.jpg

Rachel

Both of them have good depth of body, and are very well rounded over the topline. They both seem to slope off in the HQ though, and seem pinched. Their ears actually look pretty good compared to the balance with the rest of their body. ;)

I'd like to see more fullness to the loin/HQ on the broken, as well as the black. The broken seems to lack more though.

Can't really tell much about the shoulders/heads because ears/hand are in the way.

I'd definitely let them mature and fill out some more though. ;) How is their fur texture & density?

Emily

Hmn. I'd keep the black over the broken black.

Both are very hollow in the loin. Both have lightly-furred ears, which look to be too thin. The broken has white carrying up above the cap (dunno what that's called on all breeds. XD) which isn't good.

Neither have a great mass to the shoulder, so they're lacking the start of the 'basketball' shape I've been taught to try to find. lmbo.

the black just looks like a nicer animal in all.... But I'm not sure how mini rex mature out. ;D Might be worth letting them grow a little more. Might not. I dunno. D=

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Both of them have good depth of body, and are very well rounded over the topline. They both seem to slope off in the HQ though, and seem pinched. Their ears actually look pretty good compared to the balance with the rest of their body. ;)

I'd like to see more fullness to the loin/HQ on the broken, as well as the black. The broken seems to lack more though.

Can't really tell much about the shoulders/heads because ears/hand are in the way.

I'd definitely let them mature and fill out some more though. ;) How is their fur texture & density?

Emily

I agree. Is there anything I can do to help fill out their HQ's? Thanks

Rachel

rcohen1982 wrote:
BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:

Emily

I agree. Is there anything I can do to help fill out their HQ's? Thanks

Rachel

Breeding them to another rabbit with full HQs will help their babies have fuller HQs but other than that their is nothing you can do, they may fill out a little more though since they are only six weeks.

Amanda

Something about the broken, while I love brokens, She just looks kind of choppy all over, and lacking in loin.
The black, I kinda like other than the HQ looks odd. THe black I would grow out until 12 weeks and re evaluate.

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Agreed. I like the black one best overall.
Definitely post pictures in another couple weeks so we can see how they have matured! :D

Emily

After taking pictures, looking at them, and seeing that people were having the same views I was, I have decided to sell Ziva (the broken black). I am just starting out, and I don't want to keep something just because she is 'pretty'. I would only be wasting my own time. I am keeping Laila (the black one) for now, hoping she fills out more. Did I make the right decision, what would youdo if you were in my position?

Rachel

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
I would do the same thing you are doing. ;) Keep the best, and rehome the rest, in order to grow & improve your herd. ;)

Emily

Thank you. I love to hear everyones opinions, and everyone has been great, and honest. I am very glad I made this choice, although she is amazing to have. She will be missed, but I am sure she will go to a great family. Especially with 4 litters coming up, I just don't have the room for something that isn't as good as a sibling.

Thanks again everyone!

Rachel

Latest posts

Back