Ernestine question,

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Jones

Reaction score
For those breeder/showers/and judge ofrabbits....If you've seen a picture of our bun, Ernestine, I have aquestion for you. We call her gray and white. Wouldyou refer to her as "gray" or "blue?" Where does gray leaveoff and blue begin? Is there a "qualifying" eye color for oneor the other? The Internet pictures posted here by Carolyn ofErnestine appear to be fairly close to her "natural color."

Even though we now know with certainty what her sex is, we're moving off into other "questionable" areas? LOL

TIA

Buck

Ernestine is blue. UnderARBAbreed standardsdefinition, the breeds that have a colorcalled "gray" (Dutch, English Spot) are actually agoutis. Thecolor is genetically the same as Chestnut and has a banded hair shaft.(Except that the English Spot has been bred to show a very poor band orno band at all).

The "Light Gray" (Flemish Giant) is also an agouti variety(chinchilla). "Blue Gray" in the Dutch is Opal (not anaccepted variety).

Pam

Here are photos of the Dutch varietieshttp://tsukiyo.org/BreedInfo/Profiles/DT/varieties.html

Look at that! Less than 10 minutes andI have the definitive answer from our resident judge and expert, theubiquitous Mrs. Pamela Nock.

Oh, I love this forum!

Thanks, Pam. Now, I'll go tell the Missus something else we didn't know about Ernestine!

Buck

Latest posts

Back