Equine Fresh

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmerre

Reaction score
I recently had a bunny with some health issues and had to get rid of my cedar shavings. I had always used Yesterday's News on her favorite "pee spots" in her cage under the shavings but I can't do that anymore. My thing is several people on craigslist and here and said Equine Fresh [sold for horses]is good for rabbits (Yesterday's News is too expensive for me), but after reading up on it I discovered it's compressed pine....I thought pine was horrible for any small animal!?

I would love to switch to Eqine Fresh because of the price difference but the fact that it's pine worries me a little.

[sorry if there is already a post about this, I looked but didn't find one.]

=D Thanks ahead of time!

It's totally safe. I use wood stove pellets (same as the horse stall bedding) and it works well. Occasionally I can smell a little woody smell that I didn't get with the Yesterday's News, but for the huge savings I get, it's worth it.

Yeah, I've noticed when the pellets first get peed on they smell pretty woody. But after they dry the smell dissipates.

Love wood stove pellets/horse stall bedding as litter!

The rabbit we bunny-sat was using plain old shavings. Yuck! They stank so bad! After a day, I cleaned out his litter box and replaced the shavings with wood pellets. No more stinky after that!

Rue

Thanks everyone! I'm going to buy Eqine Fresh this weekend from Tractor Supply and see if they have stove wood pellets I could try as well! I love Yesterday's News but it's expensive, and doesn't go very far in her big cage.

=D

Have you tried litter training her? Then you only need to put litter in the litter box. It saves tons of money and time cleaning.

This is going to sound wacky but I talked with a guy that had giant bunnies as house pets for years. He used old towels and cotton material in litter boxes instead of litter. He said that sure, it was work to wash them but that his bun's were litter trained. Now, that's a nice, likely cheap solution you could try?

I was thinking what about creating a washable litter? (just pondering inventions)

I too am being price gouged by retail priced litter!!! I've been buying Fresh World Bedding at $16/bag and I go through two bags each week.

I think these brands just set the price high because they can! :grumpy:

I buy a brand similar to Equine Fresh from a shop called Rural King. It is like the Tractor Supply chain but not as big and there isn't one of those where I live. I can get a 40 lb bag of it for $5.49 before tax, and that huge bag lasts my little 3 lb lop about 3 weeks! Very cheap and good to use! When it gets wet it actually dissolves a bit which ends up clumping the urine together so it doesn't run all over the litter box. It has the best absorbancy out of absolutely anything out there and odor control is great too. I would recommend to anyone.

Hey there!
Are you the one I talked to on craigslist when your lionhead wasnt well?
I use Equine Fresh and it works really great. It does have a distinct "woody" smell to it. It is safe because it goes through a processing that removes the harmful oils. I havent had as much success with wood stove pellets, the ones I purchased from TSC had a really bad smell and didnt seem as absorbant as the Equine Fresh, which is made for horses.
Welcome to RO! Hope you are finding lots of good info!
Haley

Haley: That was me on craigslist! Sooo many people sent helpful e-mails so I don't really remember which one was yours! I was using equine fresh and yesterday's news together for a little bit and now I'm completely switched to equine fresh. It doesn't seem to be as absorbant as yesterday's news but the price difference is worth it, even if I have to change it more often. Thanks for the helpful info. ;]

Latest posts

Back