epic molt? or something worse...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyshuman

Reaction score
This was Muffin
Picture08052.jpg

and this is Muffin now!
Picture08061.jpg

She looks like a midieval monk, the way she has this big old spot of shorter fur on her back! We were using the ZoomGroom, which was pulling out tons of hair, but these big ole tufts kept on showing up on her bum, so I would give them a gentle tug. After an hour or two of "gentle tugs," my Muffin looks like this (and we had 2 Muffin-sized piles of fur)!! Is this normal? Could it be because she's had a change in diet (a minimal amount of good pellets, lots of veggies, and lots of hay as opposed to malnutrition)? Adapting to life indoors (as opposed to a garage, where she was kept until late January--and it was a COLD winter here!!)?

She is a hay monster so I'm not worried about her getting stasis so much, but there have been a few cecals lying around lately, I can't tell whose they are. Her nose and eyes are a little wet sometimes, but it's clear so I don't really worry about it. Plus, she is supposed to be going to the vet for her annual well-bunny soon (when I remember to call, basically. maybe today?). I don't deny that she's been under stress, having been taken from her previous home and a baby, spayed, taken home by me, and made to get along with my Tony who is a bit of a jerk. I just can't believe this is a normal molt! Could it be something else?:?

It looks like a mega molt to me. Changing from a crappy diet to a good diet will make a bunny's coat come in much healthier and it can also cause a big molt. That added with the change of climate is bound to make her have a huge molt. Also, brushing accentuates the molt line, making it look worse than it really is.

I would keep brushing her and watch for skin irritation. As long as her skin looks healthy, no redness or flakyness, then keep brushing. She is most likely getting rid of her ucky winter coat and growing in a nice soft indoor coat.

As long as her appetite is still good and she is acting the same, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

--Dawn

That's EXACTLY how my Dahlia looks but it's only in her face so far :laugh:She looks like she has this huge beard! It's the first time any of my buns shed so bad!

[align=left]thanks Dawn. unfortunately, I don't have a good reading on what her appetite should be, since I've only had her for a little more than a month. I do know she is a pig when it comes to veggies and hay, and doesn't really like pellets. her body tone is ok and she's healing well from her spay, so i do think she's healthy overall. here's another pic i snapped:

Picture08.jpg

i thought it showed the molt better...
[/align]

Aw, poor Muffin! I agree with Dawn that it's probably because of all the changes she's been through- different and better food, different living situation, all sorts of stuff. Loki looked like this his first molt or two here, but not quite as bad. Fey and Sprite sometimes looked like that during their bazillion molts their first year here (also switching from crap food/care to good food/care) but it wasn't as visible because they're entirely white.

It shouldn't be a skin problem because you can see the new fur where it's growing out. I guess she just got sick of her old fur!:shock:

Fiver just got done with two (in a row) all-over mega-moults himself. I think it was him finally losing his rescue fur (good diet, good home, etc.) because it's still rather cold here. I had to pick him up every other day to pull the shedded fur from him...and it was just NEVER ENDING!

His fur is SO SOFT now, though...

:inlove:

So yeah, I agree...change to good diet and warmer climate was more than likely what triggered this for Muffin. But it's a good thing! Muffin needed to drop that rescue fur! GO MUFFIN!! :D

Ya know? I had Snuff for one year in October and he wasn't on the right diet as far as pellets. This summer was horrible as far as moulting, so this all makes sense. Hopefully, this summer won't be as bad and I hope to say that yes, it was from changes, in diet and environment;).

Good Luck with this major moult, and just so you know, it can go for months:shock:. Snuff's last one did, it amazed me;).

The zoom groom will help take off the yucky hair and that can make it seem more drastic as well!

Funny thing - Bo got through (we thought) his huge fall molt and guess what? his back looks almost the same but turn the diamond kind of shape sideways and make it thinner!

PLUS his chest (under his chin, to his legs) did that same thing and he's got long hair and then all this nice new hair - it's hilarious!

I think that a lot of it is because we put him on a bit of a diet and he lost probably 1/2 pound. He also hasn't had as many treats and has had more types of hay.

AND I moved his cagelast fall and he's by awindow now - he's cooler or warmer if the sun is out - he lays right in it.

ok...

for us aussies who dont have and cant get half the stuff you do...

what in the world is a zoom groom ????

well, we are down under !!!!!

hayley

Dame-Tee wrote:
ok...

hayley

Hi Hayley,

A zoom groom is a soft brush,and we actually do have them here in Australia,i have found mine in my vet surgery

Here is a picture of one..

Dame-Tee wrote:
ok...

hayley
Lol, awww. There is a brand of brush called that here.

But, the almost equivilent would probably be the Slicker Brush?:?

now ive seen the pic, yes i have seen them before...

and yes, i use a slicker brush all the time...

might have to get a zoom groom as i have 2 bunns who have been in moult for a while now,.....im plucking every other day...though have learnt not to do it on wash day....LOL

hayley

Zoom groom is a great brush, but you must be careful until you get used to them.

I have used one on Bo and not realizing - pulled ALL the loose hair and there were bald and a bit pink spots.... :( The hair would have come out anyhow, but it came out a day or two early and the skin got a bit irritated. He was fine tho.

I like the brush because I don't have to worry as much about him ingesting the hair.

I just don't brush as much as I did that one time and after I get some hair and loosen some - I will wet my hands and get the stuff that's sticking out - OR you can turn the zoom groom over and use the flat side to "wipe away" the loose stuff.

thanks guys. my problems with the zoom groom have been that it doesn't get the hair out well enough, but my buns have thick coats, and there might be something different with Bo's rex fur. plucking is a lot faster and more effective, it just makes a huge mess!

i'll stop worrying and hide my giggles when i see her funny molt!:biggrin2:

Leo just ended the craziest molt I've ever seen...I gave up on the furminator and other brushes and gently pulled fur with my hands because it was a lot easier!

-Kathy

Latest posts

Back