English Spots in Australia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numbat

Reaction score
Are there any English Spots in Australia? I can't seem to find any breeders.

I don't think they're called English Spots in our area of the world. I'm not 100% but they may be called broken butterflys? I didn't think english spots were a breed? I thought they were a colour?

I got confused about colours and breeds too! I thought Chinchilla rabbits were a colour but I think they're a breed and a colour! I've been researching the different local breeders, one has an English Spot coloured doe which is a Nethie so maybe it's a colour but I'm pretty sure it's a breed too! The family that gave me my two black fox (I thought they were black otter but found out they're black fox from NZminilops ;)) thought black otters were a breed!

What are English rabbits? These are a couple of pics. They look very like English Spots but the spots are more joined?
:? I just looked at images on google and they're the same as English Spot?

Fancy15.jpg

Fancy16.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg

I don't think we have English Spots on our side of the world (they are a breed). A rabbit with a white coat with black blobs and dots and stuff is a broken black, or black butterfly in the new terms that we are following in accordance to the BRC. Are you looking to buy a broken black bunny that looks like an english spot?

Numbat, your buns look like crossbred bunnies, likely some general dwarf and I see a bit of lop in there somewhere. They could be black otter in colour but I just don't see any orangy bits. They would be around the nose, ears, eyes, and along that area where the white of the belly meets at the black.

Chinchilla is a name, and a breed. You could have a chinchilla coloured minilop. Or you could have a chinchilla breed of rabbit. They are a large meat rabbit around here, for eating.

AS far as I'm aware there are no English Spot breed of rabbit in Australia or New Zealand.

It is quite possable that a breeder in Australia is trying to recreate the breed by crossing various rabbits to get the patterning of the English spot.

I have heard of some breeders in NZ that are trying to create the English Spot pattern in the Netherland Dwarves.

Yes chinchilla is a colour as well as a breed. Chinchilla rabbits down under come in two varieties, standard and giant, I have both of these breeds and they are lovely rabbits, tho the giant chins in NZ seem to lack size, but its something being worked on.

Thanks guys. I was just curious because they sound like a nice breed maybe to have in the future. Yep, I would guess mine are mixes. You spotted their lop heritage :D Their mum and dad looked like lops, I wish I had taken a better look! The owners thought they were mini lop I think (I think they thought black otter was a breed too) and one of Brown Eye's ears has lopped! (so adorable)

Latest posts

Back