English Spot with snuffles (I think)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
Here is the story on Charlie.
One of my neighbors, the type who only see $$ when he looks at an animal, hatcheda scheme to raise rabbits for meat. Genius that he is, he bought some rabbits at a swap and brought them home-in the back of his open pickup, on a rainy day. Guess what happened, at least one got sick. What a shock, the stress of the noisy swap and a two hour ride in the rain,how could this have happend.

Anyway, he decided that Charlie (no, he didn't name him, I did.)wasn't what he wanted, so he asked me to take and sell him at a show I was going to. I said ok, it was a rabbit out of his hands, you know? I brought this guy into my barn the night before the show, and realized ten minutes later he was sneezing. I moved him immediatly to the back of the barn away from my other rabbits, and called my neighbor. He says, "oh, he's sneezing? Well, tell you what, why don't you have your husband hit him on the head for me? That's what I'm gonna do with him anyway."

So of course, I just never even told the guy I kept the rabbit,and took him to the vet to try and get him better. Well, the antibiotics haven't worked. He is still sneezing. He got better for a few days after the meds, but he got startled by my dad driving the tractor past the barn and it started up again.
I spent $100 to get him the vet app and the meds, and I just can't spare any more. I have three other rescue rabbits sitting in my barn that need to be spayed/neutered and hopefully, found new homes. When the vet did a culture and sensitivity test, the tech that called me said he had a bacterial infection. Shouldn't that have been cured by the antibiotic? I can't rmember that it was he was on, when he finished it I threw the bottle away, and cannot for the life of me remember the name of it. Can anyone tell me of they thing this is something that can be cured, or is it like "snuffles" that he would have forever? I am terrified that my other rabbits will get it, even with him separated.

Bless you for saving him from this awful man.

From whatI know, most of these infections can be treated and controlled, if not cured. The culture should have shown not only that it was a bacterial infection, but what antibiotics the bacteria was sensitive to. Baytril is most commonly used for these infections, but it really could have been anything.

Is there any chance you could call your vet, ask what the last culture was sensitive to and see if they will give you a refill? He could have caught it again or he could have needed to be on it longer.

If it makes you feel any better, my Max has had an awful sinus/respiratory infection for about a year and none of my other bunnies (including his bonded mate) have gotten sick.

The test they did said that the antibiotic they gave was one the bacteria was sensitive to, I asked them for that test specifically. The thing that worries me is, I know there is/are respiratory diseases that cannot be cured, and I'm afraid that this is what this is. If I knew I could cure it with more meds, then I would do it, definatly. But I really cringe about spending the money if it won't do any good. I know no one on here can tell me which this is, whether it can be cured or not, but I guess I am just looking for some general advice on what other people would do.

Also, can a rabbit get depressed about being sick? I noticed his appetite is decreasing, and that worries me. He is still eating a drinking, just not eating all of his pellets like usual. Of course, it could just be the sickness making his appetite poor. He's had this for a long time though, the guy I took him from had had him for a couple of months, and I could about garuntee he was sick from the time he had the ride in the truck. I've had him for a couple of months too, and he's had this the whole time.
When he was on the meds, it never really went away. It was close, the sneezing stopped, and the discharge lessened, but never was totally gone. This is the thick, greenish-yellow chunky kind of discharge, BTW,not to gross you all out.

I had a doe with the same thing i treated her with antibiotics and she was completly cured.but keep him in quarintine that stuff is very contagious.bluebird

I think its your own personal decision based on how much you can deal with. Some of these cant be cured, but bunnies can live normal healthy lives on medication.

My Max has had a terrible sinus/respiratory infection for a very longtime. I just never gave up on him because I could tell he was not ready to give up. Its up to you to determine how bad he really is, and how much you can handle.

Was it Baytril he was on last time? And was the bacteria Pastuerella?Maybe your vet would consider writing you an rx for baytril so you could order online (its soo cheap that way).

I'll be praying for you guys.

I know that he could probably live this way fairly comfortably, but the nightmare is all of my rabbits getting it.And now my Ned is sneezing this am. I have been crying about it all afternoon. Also, how can I quarantine them properly in the same barn?And I can't even re-home him, who would take a sick rabbit? If I could find him a one rabbit home, that would be wonderful, but I think the odds are very slim. I wish I had never told this stupid a**hole I would take the rabbit. If this spreads, it could be the end of everything for me. I can't breed, buy, sell, nothing if this gets into all of my rabbits. It would be the end of my dreams of showing my own line.

Can you bring him inside or in the garage ors omething? Im sorry you have to deal with this. Whatever happens, he has had a much better life with you than he ever wouldve had with that jerk next door.

Do you have any rabbit rescues near you who you could contact about taking him?

Not really, our local animal shelter doesn't do rabbits. Besides, I wouldn't feel right about it. I took on this responsility, I have to make sure he is taken care of.

Latest posts

Back