End of my tether

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good little step. Don't expect too much to soon. If a rabbit doesn't have trust for people (for example if they haven't been humanised at all before coming to you) then it will take a long time for them to build trust. Don't expect it to happen quickly, and don't be demoralised if it takes a long time, months to years. Your bunnies are not unhappy, they will probably love the human attention when they get trust for it, but right now, they seem very comfortable there. Most likely, you want to bond to them for you, and that will take longer than if they bond to you naturally, so please don't give up on them when it doesn't happen quickly. Rabbits are prey animals so take a long time to trust something that they do not see as trustworthy.

I just wanted to add something else to this.

I had a litter of seven last year (well, not me personally :p). I kept them all and handled them all from two days old. They have had a pretty similar upbringing and havethe same parents.

I have one snuggly rabbit, I have 4 who think I'm some sort of grand play ground that they climb all over, I have one who won't leave me alone and wherever I go, so does he, and I have one, the one I want to talk about, who is very nervy.

My nervy girl does not like to be held nor touched.She will come over and see my if she is in her cage and I have not opened the doors. If she is running free with her bonded brothers (they live as a trio), then she will occassionally come over, if I'm not moving and give me one lick on my knee or waist and then dart off again and not come back. She doesn't like to be touched, yet me and her are as bonded as she would like to be because she feels safe enough to come and give me a lick, which goes against her natural instinct. So what you are aiming for is for them to feel comfortable and feel bonded to you, even if it's not what your ideal situation is.

Alrighty, I haven't had much time over the weekend to spend sitting with buns, but seems to me that Bambam is getting used to me.
Everytime I pass thier cage I reach in and give her a little pet and sometimes a treat. Pebbles still runs off and hides so I just give him a treat out of my hand every now and again, but Bambam is sitting still when I pet her now, she doesn't run and hide like she used to.

She doesn't voluntarily come up to me but hopefully when they learn that I = treats they will do.

Also working on the theory that if one thinks I'm okay then they other will stop being scared.

I am going to try a stint in the cage again tonight which always amuses my husband no end!!

BunnyMummy wrote:
Everytime I pass thier cage I reach in and give her a little pet and sometimes a treat.
Sounds like you are making progress. Where are their cages? I have my cages in the kitchen/dining room area, and the bunnies are always in view of people living in the house. Even if there is no contact, people are always walking by the cages, so my bunnies are very use to us.

I kind of know how you feel. I wouldn't say completely, because Finley is friendlier than what you describe of your bunnies.

However, we've had her nearly 2 years. Until recently, we couldn't pet her if she was out of her cage. She'd run away. If we tried to pet her in her cage, she'd grunt at us, and move away.

Only in the past two weeks has she come around. So, nearly two years into being her slave, she has finally relaxed.

She doesn't grunt at me anymore (well, rarely). I can pet her in and *out* of her cage, and I can even make her binky. This is huge because Finley has never been much for demonstrating normal bunny behaviour.

Having an unfriendly bunny is the pits - but it feels that much better when they come around. I just want to sit and give Finley cuddles forever - but I figure that would be breaking some kind of boundry rule. I love my *new* bunny. :)

Understand the "husband thinks I lost my mind", my BF see's me trying to make Baxer! comfortable and watches me do as much as falling asleep outside on the patio with a towel over me while I cuddle Baxter!.. He thinks I'm crazy, but I think Husbands and BF's are smart enough to know - don't complain about them spending time with an animal - cause that means that we will be home much more of the time! LOL.. Good luck to you.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
BunnyMummy wrote:
Everytime I pass thier cage I reach in and give her a little pet and sometimes a treat.
Sounds like you are making progress. Where are their cages? I have my cages in the kitchen/dining room area, and the bunnies are always in view of people living in the house. Even if there is no contact, people are always walking by the cages, so my bunnies are very use to us.

I have a large run in the hallway ( will figure out how to put up pics soon) that is too high for them to jump yet, but I can crouch down and pet them. Aslo they are able to see what is going on as it is right next to the living room and more importantly the radiatior, which they love!! Plus it's big enough for me to put a cushion in and sit with them, albeit cramped :thumbup.

Latest posts

Back