emmy's teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our vet told us that if they eat hay, it shouldtake care of the teeth being shorn off enough. Are her teethaligned properly?

She can chew on the wood blocks they sell in petstores, cardboard,natural grass mats, natural toys like willowballs and baskets you canfind through many online rabbit supplies...

Bindy normally chews on a basket that she hops inand out of , she also likes the real stiff cardboard, she has beenhaving a go at our wooden doorstoppers too. I picked up the wood doorstoppers at a discount store for $1, they are un painted so they arebunny safe.

Hi There, Katy! :dude:

Good to see you again! Hope all is going well with you.

As to Emmy's teeth, how bad are they? If they become too overgrown, itcould lead to further troubles - abcesses, not eating, etc. In somecases, people will have their teeth clipped at the vet's. Is she eatingwell and doing okay otherwise?

As the others have said, you can give them wood. I give my rabbits apple wood because it's a very hard wood.

Tell Trina we all said hello. You're still our only real twins on the forum.

Don't be a stranger!

:)

-Carolyn

Anything herd basically. I get the ChewBiscuits and Carrot sticks at the pet store. They cruch awayon them. Mine never have chewed on wood much.

Ed

Thank you Carolyn! hehe. Twins. ahah. THank youguys for your responses..it means so much! Yes, she is eating well, andshe is doing okay. But, it really worries me that when i stroke herchin it's like she's grinding her teeth..and i've read that means thatshe's in pain :( my mom said we could take her to the vet on Wednesdayfor sure. So I hope everything works out :)

Wood..? Hmph..won't it give rabbits splinters on their gumsor in their mouth area? And also Carboard..umm how much should i giveher?

I have been looking onlineso that I could buy something for Emmy about her teeth..looking towardsall of your responses. I was around petsmart.com and came uponthis:

inP037167_1478b.jpg
Doyou think these are apporpiate for Emmy? It description states thatThese fun shapes are fruit flavored wood that will encourage your smallpet to chew, and the chewing action helps to keep their teeth trimmedto a healthy length. Made with 100% safe and non-toxic flavors andcolors. Four shapes per pack.

It's really a cheap value.. $0.99!!

i buy those shaped wood blocks all the time :)the ones i get arent flavoured though..so not sure about that.. but mybuns really love corners, and once the corners are chewed off, theywont chew them anymore! i'd get something a bit larger withlots of angles :)

Bunnies often grind their teeth when you'repetting them because they're happy... ours always do it.Those wooden chews are good, they're Max's favourites! IfEmmy is grinding her teeth and sitting hunched up, then that usuallymeans that they're in pain. Is she lethargic or having anyother behavioural changes?

Ang xx

Emmy's behavior is kindof..surprising. I mean from time to time she growls at us because wepet her back..near her tail >_< but..the hunching part idont get. :DEhh sorry im slow. ahha. I mean when we strokeher chin she is sitting down in her rear and shes grinding her teeth,that's mostly it!

I justcame home from buying the Fun Chew Shapes. They are exactly what i haveabove! But, i'm not really sure because i just gave the little starpeice to Emmy..are they suppose to eat it up? Or is it just likesomething to Chew on?

Yeah I think she is just happy then... alot ofrabbits don't like their back ends being touched. I readsomewhere that aggressive rabbits will bite other rabbits on the hindquarters when they're not happy with them, so this is construed as anact of aggression by you towards your rabbit... according to themanyway! :? I hope that makes sense!

Max generally just chews hers up into tiny slivers... I'm sure she eats some but has always been okay.

Ang xx

Bo gets a big slab of cardboard in his cage, buthe's not one to eat the cardboard. He just throws it out ontothe floor and all around his cage. :?

I have also given him natural wicker mats, and he gets wood blocks as well.

I want to find some good apple twigs that I know aren'ttreated. I need to ask a friend of the family, I think shehas a bunch of trees she doesn't spray.

Okay, so Emmy's behaviorisn't on a stand where a vet has to come in? If not, that's GREAT! woohoo! lol. The only thing I just need to worry about are those nails ofhers! lol. I need to buy new bunny clippers... i just can't seem tofind it anywhere in the house! :D

You can use large nail clippers (for people)too. That's what our vet uses and I used untilrecently. The bunny clippers are easier for bo since he'svery negative on nail trims.

Well, don't take my word for it, but I thinkshe's okay. But to be sure, go along to the vet and at leastyou can have a sure answer as to whether she is fine or not.Obviously from over here I can't see what she's like! LOL:D You can tell alot better than me!

Ang xx

Large nail clippers...thatWE use? I never thought of that! lol. I always prefrered using therabbit ones! hehe. Maybe i'll try those some day! hehe. But the onlything that I have trouble on is that she's so.."cautious". I mean theother day I dropped a pen in front of her cage on accident because Iwas writing down what I needed to buy for her..all of a sudden she justhops around like she heard a gun shot! :shock:And every timeI cut her nails, she always seemed to be the same! I mean i wrap her ina towel like a burrito, two seconds later she jumps out! Trina's tooscared to help me for some reason because she thinks that I might cutthe quick of Emmy's nail, but I never do! :DAnyone have anyadvice?

I've bumped a post by Bo entitled BUCK I NEED YOU!!!, there are a few ideas in there for getting nails clipped!

Good luck!

Ang xx

Hmm, sounds like Bo. He's brave about some things, and others.... he just wigs out.

Our storm door squeeks when you open it..... OMG he looks like he's a deer in headlights everytime he hears it. :shock:

Latest posts

Back