Emmy's Nail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhiszxpinay

Reaction score
Today, after school, I went downstairs to greetEmmy since I missed her so much today. She ran to the doorofher cage ready to get her afternoon free time like always.I was holding her in my lap and was looking at her paw nails...and thenI saw it..

Toenails.jpg

What im trying to explain is that do you know the Quick? Well some ofthe nails looks dry, and like the skin is peeling, but in one case..herthird nail is like bent forward..:shock:My mom has cutten hernails like on Sunday..but I havent noticed it since now. IS thissomething normal that Rabbits have? Or should I take her to the vet?

Thanks a bunch,

Katy

mhiszxpinay wrote:
...What im trying to explain is that do you know the Quick? Well someof the nails looks dry, and like the skin is peeling, but in onecase..her third nail is like bent forward...IS this something normalthat Rabbits have? Or should I take her to the vet?

Thanks a bunch,

Katy
Could you try explaining it a littlemore, as I cannot visualize what you are saying.

Let me say this, though, if the quick is in tact, and there is nobleeding, it is probably fine. If it is dangling by a "thread" of nailtissue, simply cut off. A clearer explanation might afford abetter reply from me, or someone else.

Buck

whoops...i accidently wrote it wrong. Well, whatI`m trying to say is that the quick of Emmy's nails look dry.But there isn't any bleeding. But the other thing that bothers me isthat her 4th paw nail is bent forward..and it kind of looks like itsgoing to come off.:shock:This is a really surprise for mebecause I have never ever encountered this with Emmy. Everytime I tryto check on it from time to time, She jumps off my lap and hopsaway..like its really painful..:?:shock:

I hope that I described it so that in a point youguys can visualize it. I'm going to try to take a snap shot of it onhow teh nail looks like. I hope I can without letting her jump..

Hmm... I was trimming Guin's claws today andnoticed something like that... a couple of her nails were flaking downat the base where the quick is. No bleeding but there isflakyness... never seen it before so now I am all worried hehe

Oh yeah... and Gir's claws, since he is just a baby, should I file hisnails instead of clipping them? They are like a baby catkitten's claws, very sharp but very tiny.

If by flaky, you mean kind of scaly, Idon't think there is much to worry about. If the nail is"bent" into an irregular position, that is not normal, but if it is notbothersome to the bun, it will probably not have any dire consequences.

I've seem buns whose nails were so long they curled around laterally,so that they looked like those insect deterrent strips that are shapedlike a concentric circle which one lights up to produce smoke.

In such cases, the nails have often "grown too long in anoutof proper attitude," and "twisted" to the point that evenafter I cut them to proper length, they still assumed an "out of properattitude" position forever after. However, cut to the properlength, it didn't seem to matter much to the bun(s) that the nails werenot quite in the proper position they should have been.

Buck

Ok, now I get the part that the flakness is ok.But the thing that im really worrying about is the nail part.My mom hadjust cutten it on Sunday, and Right now it is the week after. So shouldI cut her nails again? Its pretty long again! Maybe I should take herto the vet?
-- I hope Emmy's alright!:?

Whoops. Sorry, wrong username. Me and Trina are twin sisters, I totally forgot that hers was logged on ^__^ lol.

The picture that i posted up on my first post is the size of Emmy'snails right now, were at the point I had just cutten then last Week onSunday. But everytime Itry to checkthe nail wherethe nail is bent..she jumps like it really hurts. She just sits thereon the floor for a second and hops away..so I cant barely try to lookat her nail! It's the same with her other nails!! I tried all the tipsthat I read on articles..: wrapping her like a burrito in a blanket,massaging her nose to put her in a trance..it never works! I guess thelast option I have to do is to take her to the vet to get her nailscut? Well, sorry for the long post!

Thanks a bunch,

-- Katy.

Latest posts

Back