Emmy's head tilt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, it sounds like you're doing a wonderful job! I too found with my head tilt bunny that lots of holding and always being there for her helped give her the will to live. And, the fact that you have a good vet is a *huge* bonus. I switched vets part way through Jelly's illness and it was a very good thing. Though even in the end she wasn't able to get Jelly better, I feel she did her best and really trust her with my bunnies in the future.

" I lift up my eyes to the hills-where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth." Psalms 121:1-2

Emmy-bun, I'm glad you're a great bunny mom. I think though that Emmy needs to be switched to a stronger antibiotic sooner rather than later. As far as I understand, the Panacur won't really cure the head tilt. The longer the infection lingers, the more damage it does and maybe the harder it is to get rid of. For Ned, the Baytril kept him from getting worse and it DID definitely help him improve (the nystagmus and walking in circles stopped within hours), but I could tell it wasn't helping him improve fast enough so we pulled out the big guns. I feel so fortunate that our Neddie Bear is still here with us and back to his regular self with no sign of tilt! Oh and as a side note, Ned's ears had no sign of ear infection. Two vets looked and said his ears looked perfectly healthy so it must have been deep down or something. One of my bunnies died from E. Cuniculi a year and a half ago so of course my mind jumped to that when Ned got sick.

My vet mentioned another antibiotic which I have no problem trying but it'll be Monday before I can get it because of the holiday. In the mean time she's still doing well. No falling over, eating like a horse, pooping and peeing normally and tonight she was actually very peppy! She was attacking her stuffy and running in circles in her home! I swear I saw a binky in there too! I will call about the other antibiotic. I've read Zithromax is a good one, correct?

Emmy-Bun, I'm very glad that she's doing pretty well :) Zithromax is what Ned got and it worked well for him. It was quite expensive for us- $120 for a 2 week supply. That price is by no means average though, you can hopefully get it for much less than that! Ask the vet how much it will cost. I know there are other antibiotics that can work too.

So now our guinea pig seems to be suffering from the beginning stages of head tilt. She seems like she's a bit 'off'. She's eating, making all her normal noises, drinking, pooping and all that but seems clumsy. The pig and rabbit do not share the same space, they are in different rooms. We have a rule to wash hands after handling animals especially if one is ill but it isn't impossible to think that someone forgot and Daisy, the pig contracted what the Emmy has. What would be contagious between a guinea pig and a rabbit, anyone know? Tomorrow is Sunday so no vet tomorrow but I was planning on calling the vet first thing Monday morning about Emmy getting on another antibiotic anyway. I'm not 100% sure that Daisy has anything but she does seem just the slightest bit off balance and I want to be on top of this. My daughter, she's 14, is very distraught over this as it's her piggy. As for Emmy, she's eating like crazy, stomping her foot like normal and trying everything she can think of to escape from her home so other than the tilt, she's acting like her old self!

Definitely see a vet. One possible cause of ear infection head tilt in rabbits is the bordatella bacteria, which rabbits can transmit to guinea pigs, where it is very dangerous. A more common bacteria implicated in ear infections is pasturella, which can also spread to guinea pigs.

A stressful situation in the house, like guests coming over for the holidays, season changes, etc. could make both the piggie and bunny susceptible to infection, even if they are not in contact. I would definitely have the piggy checked to rule out bordatella in her case, and she probably will need antibiotics too.

The panacur is a waste of time in my opinion. Head tilt is mostly caused by ear infection, and since you mentioned her eyes "tracking", I am guessing that was a horizontal nystagmus, which is a sign of an inner ear infection. The parasite causes a vertical nystagmus, where the eyes move up and down instead of nose to tail.

It sounds like Emmy has improved, which may mean that it's good to stay with the Baytril. It may take up to a month of meds, but if there is continued (even if it is slight) improvement, it is better to stay with the one that seems to be working.

Thank you! The piggy, Rosie, saw the vet today. She's on Baytril and Panacur like Emmy since we're seeing improvements daily. Emmy is doing great except for the tilt which improves very slighty every day. Emmy is rambuctious again and if she weren't ill I'd have her spayed asap since her hormones are surely kicking in! But we'll wait since she doesn't need the stress. I'm feeling good about our course of action right now.

And we definitely have both animals on medication for at least a month for Baytril and 28 days for Panacur. The vet felt that Panacur wasn't harmful and we're using a probiotic as well which will help the gut so that's why we didn't quit it. If Emmy gets worse I'll request something stronger like Zithromax or if she doesn't keep improving like she is. They get stressed so easily and since she's making progress I hate to upset the apple cart so to speak. I got Oxbow hay too and pellets as I am hoping that it's a higher quality and will help her immune system work even better. Can't hurt and she seems to enjoy it more actually than her other hay. I read that oats can be good for bunny tummys too. Is this true?

Hey, just realized we haven't heard from you. What ever happend with her and how's she doing? I've been praying for her!

You're so sweet! Thank you! She is doing great! Her head barely tilts, if at all and she is completely normal in every other way! She is still on meds, she has just a few days left. Today she even took her pill without me mashing it and putting it on greens! She's a wonderful rabbit! She loves held and cuddled, especially by me. I believe we bonded during her illness on the nights when she couldn't even stand straight. Thank you again for your prayers for her! I was just saying a prayer of thanks today! She is beyond precious to me!

Oh I'm so so thankful as well-very relieved to hear this. I guess I was almost wondering if something hadn't happend since I hadn't heard. Yes, I definitly know what you mean about bonding throughout that-my bunny and I bonded soooo much when she had head tilt, only she never got better. That was the toughest part. I am so thrilled for you and Emmy! Praise the Lord!

Latest posts

Back