Emmy has mites!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhiszxpinay

Reaction score
There is no case ofbaldness.. all i just found was a tiny bug sucking blood from Emmy'sright eye.. i pulled it out like my grandma suggested me tooo, i did,and it's dead now.. what should ido? :shock:

Does your rabbit go outside on the grass alot?Are you certain that what you pulled off wasn't a Tick? Totreat Fur-mites you can rub Listerine Mouthwash into the surroundingarea. You can also use Ivermectine [Vimectrine] Horse-Paste Wormer. Adolup the size of a small Green-pea wiped on the paw or on the mouth.They will eat it or in cleaning themselves ingest it. Repeat treatmentin ten days to get any hatchlings. This will work. Best of luck.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Greetings mhiszxpinay,

Before you treat with anything, I'd suggest you check out the threadI've recently brought back that Pamnock posted entitled "ExcellentArticle on Mites."

Ticks appear as protrusions about 1/8 to 1/4 inch that are dark andround. Fleas are small, dark and difficult to see. Fur mites arespider-like that are also very hard to see without the help of amicroscope, and there are flies and other parasites it could have been.

Read the article Pamnock posted and what she says about treatment within the thread. I'm sure you'll find it interesting.

-Carolyn

mhiszxpinay wrote:
There is no case of baldness.. all ijust found was a tiny bug sucking blood from Emmy's right eye.. ipulled it out like my grandma suggested me tooo, i did, and it's deadnow.. what should ido? :shock:
below isa picture of some ticks different types, they change shapeand swell up as they fill with blood, you can see in the pic they arecompared to a ruler. Hope this helps

Good idea to post the picture of the ticks,Gabby. I'm leaning heavily towards thinking it was a tick as well,though hard to say without seeing it.

If it was a tick and you don't remove the head, keep an eye on it forinfection or abscess. It could take a few days before it manifestsitself.

Ticks also can carry Lyme Disease and other things. Always wash your hands after handling it.

-Carolyn

Don't get too alarmed. It is true thatsome species of ticks carry disease, but the majority of bites do notresult in illness to the host. Just keep the bite underobservation for signs of infection. Ticks are usually foundin tall grasses, so it is advised to keep the areas around your homewell groomed.

Pam

Latest posts

Back