emergency!!!!! please read!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On August 20th (last Saturday), I removed theone that Midnight had. Since then, I have been cleaning outthe wound twice a day and along with cleaning it with peroxide, I havebeen squeezing triple anit-biotic ointment into it.

When we first removed it, I cleaned out as much of the pus and yuck asI could with Q-tips & a tweezers. Today, Midnight isdoing well. The swelling has gone down considerably and if itweren't for the hole, you wouldn't know that THING had beenthere. Today the hole is the size of a tiny pea and just alittle yellow "yuck" came out with a gentle push.

Keep an eye on the wound. As it heals, and the hole getssmaller, the swelling should go down. If it doesn't, anabcess has/is forming (Vet time). Also, the skin shouldremain pink. If it turns grey or white, the tissue hasdied...and then it's time to visit your Vet. Hope thishelps. They are GROSS, aren't they?!!! Charlotte

I would still suggest taking the rabbit to thevet tomorrow. To me it sounds like you are new to rabbits and in one soyoung, I wouldn't chance it. It's better to be safe than sorry.

OH YUCK!!! I feel so bad foryou. Those are the one thing that really grosses meout. I've only seen it once, but eww!!! You poorthing.

I'm so glad you got it out, but I would still try to take her to thevet, just to make sure. PuterGeekGirl has a post around hereabout her rabbit, Corky's, wound that was just an awful struggle forthem. Until you can get her to the vet, I would do asDootsmom said.

Good Luck!

Jen

I hope your rabbit gets better soon.Everyone here has given some great advice. Hopefully you'llbe able to get him in to a vet soon and get the wound cleaned out.

Yes, as Dootsmom stated, make sure you get someneosporin or something on it! I had a horrible time with a small woundmy Corky had when it got infected....he ended up having 2 surgeries andabout 100 stitches (and he was only 3lbs at the time) He was also onantibiotics for almost 2 months. I would recommend checkingit out, even tho you removed it (great job by the way!!)....it may bebest to have some oral antibiotics as well.

Carolyn wrote:
You're most definitely in my thoughts and prayers, stef.Maggot infestation is life threatening and should be dealt with as anemergency with the vet. By the time they are visual without amagnifying glass, a lot of damage has already been done.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, actually you're thinking of flystrike. Bots aren't life-threatening, unless, as mentioned, the larva is popped.

Bub's came out on their own, and I'm monitoring Izzy's. Both are doing fine.

Don't worry Stef, it's not as yucky as it looks.:pSounds like you did fine.

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
Carolyn wrote:
You're mostdefinitely in my thoughts and prayers, stef. Maggot infestation is lifethreatening and should be dealt with as an emergency with the vet. Bythe time they are visual without a magnifying glass, a lot of damagehas already been done.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, actually you're thinking of flystrike. Bots aren't life-threatening, unless, as mentioned, the larva is popped.

You're absolutely right, Rose. I was speaking of fly strike.

-Carolyn

The first thing I though of when I read yourfirst post was that is was flystrike. Remember rabbits hidetheir ill feelings, so don't be tricked into thinking everything isfine. A vet visit is needed. Let us know whathappens.

Ed

Carolyn wrote:
You're absolutely right, Rose. I was speaking of fly strike.

-Carolyn

Now THAT one scares the living out of me. As yucky as bots are, I was so relieved to find out that's all it was!

NOT that I'm looking forward to taking care of Iz.....yuuuuuucky.....:p

Rose

P.S. oh yeah, if you can't see a hole the larva is not ready to comeout and probably shouldn't be squeezed. Or so I discovered with mine.Izzy's is a bulge about a 1/2 in. wide, but no hole. Ohhhh, am I notlooking forward to this......I hope it comes out on its own like Bub's.icky icky icky

P.P.S. Bub's skin turned black and dead over the hole after the larvaleft. I thought it was skin cancer or something, but the vet said nobiggie. And sure enough, it's healing really well.

P.P.P.S I saw flystrike once and it actually doesn't look anything likebots. It's a huge red wound, not a little bump with a hole. Nasty. Therabbit survived (not mine). Ok, now I'm done with the P.S.'s.:p

How is your bunny and what happened?

Did you take your bunny to the vet???
Hope you are doing ok and things are ok for your bun
Please let us know when you can.

Latest posts

Back