EMERGENCY!!! PLEASE HELP.RIP-Thumper

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ani-lover

Reaction score
thumper was put on baytril about two weeks ago and he was acting fine this morning. now he is acting very limp, and has a blank stare. i believe he may have pasturella and my vet is closed for the evening. i am not going to an emergency vet because they usually dont know what to do with rabbits and i need to know what i could do until the morning.

When was the last time he ate?
Has he used his litterbox lately?

We need a little more info to go on...pasturella doesn't usually cause the limpness or blankness...that sounds more like a shocky bunny to me...is there any more info you can give us about what has been happening lately?

Danielle

How is his gut holding up? Baytril isn't very effective at treating Pasteurella or much of anything else....but it can damage the beneficial bacteria in the gut. And I highly urge you to seek immediate emergency medical help.....I have a feeling time is important right now. If an e-vet is willing, I am available to talk them thru what they need to do.

Randy

I strongly urge you to take Randys help!

I have seen what you describe too many times in the past and it is not something to wait on...go to the e-vet! ASAP!

Good Luck...

Danielle

An emergency vet is better than nothing. Get your bunny to an emergency room quick!!! They can die overnight.

I agree--warmth, fluids, oxygen, and an assessment by any vet can really help. At the least, they can determine what could be causing this.

im so sad to post but thumper, my baby, had passed about five mins after the original post. will post a rainbow bridge thread when i can.

thank you all for the responses and to answer everyones questions after i may state that this rabbit was very strong and was playing normally a few hours prior.

niomi- he was on a transdermal baytril for 10 days and yes he was pooping and peeing normally.

runestonz- he ate around 5ish maybe six and was just fine. he used his litter box regularly and probably about two hours before this he used his litter box.

randy- i would've loved your help and assistance but i guess i was too late, he was on a transdermal baytril purposely not to mess with his gut.

danielle- if i had more time and he was just a bit stronger he would've been at an e-vet.

pipp- thank you for the advice and info that an e-vet would do. he fell down hill all too fast and i wish i could've had time to get to an e-vet.

yozing- thanks for the advice, rabbits can also die in a few hours, but there just wasnt enough time to get to an e-vet

tonys-human- thank you for your advice, but again he fell all too soon and there was not much i could do.

again i am sorry to post this but i have lost thumper, he was a very strong, friendly, very popular rabbit but something attacked his system and mother nature took its course all to quickly.

so sorry to hear of your dreadful loss!! Rabbits can be so hard to stabilize when they start going downhill,don`t blame yourself you truely did all you could but time was not on your side x

I'm so sorry Ani-lover. :sad:

When you posted, it was likely already too late. And it was probably nothing you could have caught. I don't think it was a straight pasturella infection, you and the Vet treated him for that and he was better. Maybe it was a parasite or an abscess with an infection that got into his bloodstream, or cancer, or any number of things hard to catch.

They may be unrelated, but just in case, I'd check around your property for potential problems like a raccoon toilet area (raccoon roundworms can be a big problem for bunnies), or maybe a mouldy tree or cut grass area, or a spot that's been treated with fertilizer or pesticides.

Are there places that Tabby and Thumper went and Domino didn't? Some types of parasites and toxins can mimic other ailments.

I really hope you don't give up on bunnies, you're a great caregiver.

So sorry you lost Thumper. :(

sas :tears2:

EDIT: Thumper was older than I thought.

thank you everyone.
pipp i have been trying to figure out what could have got him so fastl ike that and the only thing its leading to is pasturella, i posted about a week or two ago that he had thick white nasal discharge, that he sneezed out once. the vet agreed and he was actually supoosed to go n a different med last week but i just had no time to get in there. he didnt really go outside all that much and he's been just sitting on pavement when he went out and was always supervised so i dont think that he went anywhere that he wasnt supposed to.

tabby had e. cuniculi and the necropsy confirmed it. i did so much research on the symptoms and apparently it crossed the brain barrier because he kept having convulsions and/or seizures. so since it crossed the brain barrier as the necropsy concluded that it was in the brain, no treatment was working.

im not going to give up bunnies, i have had a bunny everyday since i was born, im going to take a little break and maybe get one for christmas, but i am going to be very careful where it comes from as i dont think i can go through this again.

this was so sudden and he was only about three, tabby was about 2 give or take a few months.

binky free baby, we love you
:pink iris::bunnyangel::apollo::pray::cry1::cry2

I'm so sorry. To have gotten so bad so suddenly, something must have been seriously wrong. Perhaps the infection got into his bloodstream and caused large-scale organ failure. Binky free, Thumper.

thanks again everyone
we are trying to cope with our loss and miss him greatly.

i just got off the phone with my vet and everyone is stunned.
thumper came from one of the techs and i figured since his second owner was in the veterinary field, he would be well taken care of and would have a long life. but life is not always as it should be. i told her what happened that he was sitting in his cage when i got home at around 8:30 maybe and he didnt want to move, i picked him up and his back legs just dropped, he didnt even try to hold on to me and his body temp felt like it was dropping.

the vet had him on the baytril for 10 days and he was supposed to get back there but i have just been so busy.
my vet said she would probably say it was from a stress related thing but im not sure. i asked about a necropsy and she said that its possible that it would come back with absolutley nothing. i just dont understand what would make him fall so fast. i thought maybe he may have gotten into something but i looked everywhere he goes and i just dont see anything. i just dont know

Back