emergency help needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b24karrot

Reaction score
I have someone from the rescue coming to pick up one of the buns I recently rescued because of his behavior. I need a bunny expert to talk to to help me make this decision, I am so in love with him and do not want to give him up but he has seriously hurt my oher bun, is it allowed to ask for a phone call, I am a crying blubbering mess and need some major guidance quick.

Please help.

How long have you had the bun and is the bun spayed/neutered? how long have the buns been together? Were there any scents that could have triggered it? (Such as the smell of another animal)

And how is your other bun? :(

I am sure someone will come along to help you :hug:

We often have behavior problems coming into rescue. Unless they come in as a bonded pair, we do not allow any rabbit to be in contact with others until they are spayed/neutered and we have seen their personality. We have had several that came in that were just plain evil....but we didn't know what they had experienced. We have one, Pixie, that bit a child and was going to be euthanized. The vet refused. She was biting because the small child was poking her eyes with a pencil. That was her only defense. She bit us numerous times, but she learned she was safe here. We have another, Lillian, that was so aggressive that vets refused to treat her for a shelter....and she had head tilt. She was being eaten alive by ear mites. Sometimes it takes time and patience. But when they feel safe and secure, the ones that were so aggressive will make the most appreciative bunnies you have ever seen. I hope you will find it in your heart to give this bunny a chance at feeling safe.

Randy

I'm not much of a bonding expert (my guys bonded pretty easily), but if no one from your area is around, I can give you a call if you PM me your phone number -- although my rabbit did just snip the wire to my phone and I have it pieced back together rather haphazardly, so I won't have a reliable connection. :X

sas :bunnydance:

Okay, talked to b24Karrot... Here's a re-cap. (Hope that's okay!)

Bubba, the boy causing the problems is an unneutered male just entering the 'hormonal' phase, he's only four or five months old. He had originally been adopted out with Scamp, another unneutered boy. :?

(As an aside, they were too young at the time, but the rescue honestly had no business adopting out unneutered baby boys as a pair without some very strong cautions, they may well have killed each other had they suddenly matured enough to do so prior to being neutered).

Scamp diedduring his neuter because of unforseen internal issues also present in Bubba, thought to be from a bacterial infection (?). Bubba is over that now, but with all the medical problems, the vet fund is needless to say very strained. (The rescue did not contribute, nor were discounts offered). :?

Herquestion really is what are the chances of Bubba, who got out of his own area and attacked the boyin a bonded trio,bonding with the trio?B24 is concerned that she'llpay for a neuter and will still have to give him up.

My response is there is no way ofknowing without the neuter -- hishormones are kicking in, so howeverdocile he was before thisdoesn't matter. However, he wasn't the dominant bunny in the previous pairing,andthere is always hope.

Most importantly, though, I said that I don't think she should be responsible for the neuter in the first place. The rescue got offwithout payingvet bills to begin with, and not sure of their funding situation, butit really has to be their responsibilty. I forgot to ask if she paid an adoption fee, but if one was paid, it'straditionally to cover spays/neuters. Most reputable rescueshave working relationships with vets (or maybe withthe SPCA,city sheltersor other rescues) for reduced costs on fixing pets.

So it IS a crap shoot, it's very possible the boys simply won't like each other no matter what, and much muchcare will have to be taken when trying to bond them. But it's not hopeless.

Bestcourse of action -- get the rescueinvolved in the neuter, try FOSTERINGhim for another couple of months to see ifhe can join the warren,and give him back if it doesn't appear likely.

I talked to the rescue and they are going to cover his neuter, and the foster mom who had him will take him for two a week and a half while she has him fixed and to give me time to care for my injured boy, after that we will take him back and keep him seperate from the other buns for a month then try a new meet and greet.

Happy thoughts are way that this works out, I love this little guy so much I do not want to have to give him up.

By the way, the rescue did not charge me for the buns but I had to sign a contract saying I would get them fixed by a certain date and provide provide proof or I would have to pay the fee.

Good thoughts our way all.

Sas, I just want to say how nice of you that was to offer to call her:). I bet that helper her so much, no words;).

B24-I wish you the best of luck with him. Please ask any questions you need to. No worries at all. We're here to help, as Sas just proved.:bunnydance:

I have Tony in a separate part of the house (son's room) because he and Bo are just horrible if they even see each other. I should take a photo of the bite I got tonight! My son handed me Tony right before I was getting Bo to hold. I forgot and Tony had chinned me and was all snuggled under my neck. (he got his leg caught in my son's hoodie pocket and got scared although it wasn't at all hurting him cause we saw it and stayed where it wouldn't hurt him til we got it out - like 2 or 3 seconds)....

Bunnies are weird. Bo is neutered and Tony isn't.... but boy Bo doesn't want me being near that other bunny! I think he'd kill Tony given the chance.

I'm with Pipp on this... Weird policies from the rescue's side. I hope everything works out for the best and I hope your bun is okay :rose:

Sas was great, really really great.

I just do not want to risk my other buns well being bringing in a new guy, but I love him, he is so cute. So I am going to try this, and hopefully no one else gets seriously hurt.

I almost died today when the vet shaved Blakes boo boo's and I saw them all open with no fur, I felt lke such a horrible bunny mom, like I let this happen to my precious baby. I cried all day, then cried more when I thought I had to give bubba, the new baby back.

But here is hoping it is all hormones and everyone will get along in the end.

b24karrot wrote:
I talked to the rescue and they are going to cover his neuter
..after that we will take him back and keep him seperate from the other buns for a month then try a new meet and greet.
By the way, the rescue did not charge me for the buns but I had to sign a contract saying I would get them fixed by a certain date and provide provide proof or I would have to pay the fee.
Great to hear! That's exactly the way a rescue should work. If they don't have the babies neutered, they need to ensure the adopter will have it done and that the adoption fee is directed to that end. Wonderful organization. :)

Somebodywho runs a sanctuary mentioned that it's easy bonding rabbits when you have a whole roomful -- she just slips in another one at dinnertime while the othershave their nosesburied in their dinner, and mostly nobunny notices or seems to care much.:cool: (She does monitor them closely, of course). She's only had to take one out of the warren out of a dozen or more.

So now I'm trying to convince everybody togo for more bunnies tohelp with bonding issues. ;)

So here is where we stand.

Cathy came to pick up my precious Bubba today and she will have him fixed and keep him. I think I will have her keep him for the full month. When he is here he has to be in a seperate room from the other buns, and though we have a baby gate up and he can see out he can not frolick with the other buns and I am sure that makes him sad, so this was she will keep him and he will not be sad. Plus she has his mom and sisters and although he will not be with them she sais she will put him in a pen right next to them.

Cathy also brought me some great stuff on Bunnies and grief. And the process they go through, and I think maybe Bubba just needsa break from us and his memories of Scamp.

I am hoping that a whole new start will make everyone happy with a new meet and greet in a month.

Happy thoughts our way for our boy to come through surgery good and come back to his forever home happy.

Latest posts

Back