Emergency broadcast system

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
As requested by RS, this is an emergencybroadcast to clear up any confusion caused by posts appearing out oforder. My post "change of plans" should explain why Ithought of leaving for awhile last night. Things are much better now,in terms of my Izzy's future prognosis,

A few days ago I posted that I suspected uterine cancer when I saw redunder Izzy's cage and was devastated for a few days. Since bleeding isonly one sign, I was waiting to see if other signs appeared in the nextfew days (as I mentioned, I've seen the signs before). My next post, aday later, was somewhat more optimistic after talking to two vets. Theythought a kidney stone was another option, as well as the usualporphyria from the recent cold snap.

Although I knew it could turn out ok, there was certainly an anxiousfew days (and especially nights) watching and waiting. I didn't want topost more updates until I knew one way or the other. And last night Idecided to take a break from the forum until things looked better.

After the days of observation, Izzy's urine has returned to normal(actually, that was after the first day and was mentioned in my nextpost) and she looks incredibly healthy. I was watching for weight loss,lack of grooming, loss of balance/activity swollen nipples, loss ofbladder control, anorexia, bloody discharge and/or wet tail. My otherdoe died within a week of the first sign of discharge, and herdeterioration was obvious.

In contrast to my fear, Izzy has: gained weight, groomed herselfimmaculately, has no discharge or loss of control, nipples normal, eatslike a horse, and is unusually alert and active.

Since no other signs appeared, her prognosis looks good and the redurine was apparently due to some other minor cause. I see some mildporphyria in Pandemonium too, so that's a very good possibility.

Anyway, if there's more confusion, see the post "change of plans". Iasked Carolyn to delete the first post to eliminate confusion.

Thanks for the concern, all!

Rose

I can understand feeling down and tired andworried so that I wouldn't want to post. However, do yourselfa favor next time and grab one of us in pm and cry on our shoulder!!!!!

Sometimes we just need to talk it out a little. I am so gladIz is better today. I think I read that lowering the calciumhelps with that stuff. Have you checked that info on the HRSsite?

rabbitgirl wrote:
As requested by RS, this is an emergency broadcast toclear up any confusion caused by posts appearing out of order. Mypost "change of plans" should explain why I thought ofleaving for awhile last night. Things are much better now, in terms ofmy Izzy's future prognosis,

Although I knew it could turn out ok, there was certainly an anxiousfew days (and especially nights) watching and waiting. I didn't want topost more updates until I knew one way or the other. And last night Idecided to take a break from the forum until things looked better.

Rose
your kinda like me you want to know the full outcome before mentioningit to anyone.i get off track, I'm glad she is feeling muchbetter. quite a scare.I never mentioned getting Daphneebecause i knew in a few days she would be under going surgery. And sheis older and underweight, lots going not in her favor, so I nevermentioned a word about her untill after her surgery and Carolyn askedin a post how she was.... I really didn't want to have to hatch herstory over if she had not made it through surgery

So glad Izzy is feeling better. I know howstressful it can be when a pet is under the weather and we just don'tknow what the outcome will be. That other post of yours gave me a heartattack, thank you for clearing it up. :)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Sometimes we just need to talk it out a little. I am so gladIz is better today. I think I read that lowering the calciumhelps with that stuff. Have you checked that info on the HRSsite?

I'm weird. Sometimes I just hit a point where I can't talk about it....so I go crawl in a hole and be miserable for awhile. ;)

Anyway, the calcium idea is interesting. I have the HRS info but Ithink I missed that part (funny, I read that over and over....). I havea friend who has horses and she mentioned that she notices red urinewhen they drink less in cold weather. It's been cold here and none ofthem have been drinking much, so I suppose that makes sense.

I'm just hoping things stay normal. I guess I'll try not to assume the worst unless she looks unhealthy.

Rose

I recently noticed one thing about my bunnies inthe winter. Their pee turns an orange/red (I just assumed it happenedall year becauseI couldn't tell until it was on white snow).

Well when I started giving the boys ice chips and vegetables at night Inoticed a big change in their urine color. It went back to the normalyellow color.

Because of that I have now come to the conclusion that their orange/redcolor of pee was simply because they were not able to get the adequateamounts of water and, therefore, their pee was more concentrated whichmeant a darker color.

I have had no recurrences of orange/red pee since I have made those changes.

Was it like red-red or orange-red? Izzy's wasmore red or red brown, then orange, then yellow. I remember seeingbright red once before, a long time ago (not my bun)...but usually it'sreddish-brown.

That's interesting that you should say that, because you live in areally cold climate too, plus you have boys not girls, but it stillhappens! That makes me think it was also due to lack of water, if thatmakes any sense.

It went back to normal the very next day--when it happened to warm up by a good 30 degrees.

Although, last year Iz had a bit of red in fall....but the HRS article says it can happen various times a year.

Rose

Maybe it's a combination of multiple things. Perhaps the change in cold and the laack of water both attributed to it.

My boys had orange/red pee, not reallt red. But that would also bediet, or just the particular bunny. I know rabbit pee can range from a"milky" sort of yellow to a brown color so perhaps it's just that Izgets that color of pee with certain stresses.

But keep an eye on her and keep us updated!

rabbitgirl wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
Actually, I was wrong. White urine is due to excess calcium. Bo's urine is white sometimes :(

Red urine can be from carrots, and things that have betacarotine. Also, it says the first cold snap can cause it.....

bunnies are strange :(

Yeah, from a cold snap--how weird is that???!!

And that's only a guess. No one even knows for sure what triggers it! They are so strange.

All I can say is, it scares the heck out of me when it happens to the does!!!

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
Yeah, from a cold snap--how weird is that???!!

And that's only a guess. No one even knows for sure what triggers it! They are so strange.

All I can say is, it scares the heck out of me when it happens to the does!!!

Rose
For being little buggers, they sure are complicated!

Latest posts

Back