Emeprid medication

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I took my rabbit swiftly to the vet this morning when she appeared very lethargic. She has excess gas it turns out and the vet gave me Emeprid to give her every 6 hours. They also gave her an injection to get her gut moving. But she was eating before I took her to the vet and she is eating now. So I don’t think there’s a need to give her this med. just wondered if others have used this?

Even though she's eating, if she has slow gut motility and small poops, if that gut movement isn't trending towards improvement, it could slow down even further, to the point where GI stasis and completely stopping eating becomes the risk. So having emperid while gut motility is slow, regardless of whether bun is still eating, is something I would expect a good rabbit vet to do to prevent complete GI stasis from setting in.

But if your bun is eating pretty normally, poops look normal, and there are no signs of discomfort or pain any longer, it may be the emperid is no longer needed, if the gas pain is no longer present and your bun isn't experiencing slow gut motility. Though I would suggest discussing this with your vet first, before stopping the med.

Also, emperid shouldn't be stopped suddenly usually, but needs to be gradually decreased to allow the time needed for the body to start taking over on it's own. Suddenly stopping risks GI stasis happening. Though I'm not sure this is as much of a risk since your rabbit just started the med.

Medirabbit: metoclopramide

Even though she's eating, if she has slow gut motility and small poops, if that gut movement isn't trending towards improvement, it could slow down even further, to the point where GI stasis and completely stopping eating becomes the risk. So having emperid while gut motility is slow, regardless of whether bun is still eating, is something I would expect a good rabbit vet to do to prevent complete GI stasis from setting in.

But if your bun is eating pretty normally, poops look normal, and there are no signs of discomfort or pain any longer, it may be the emperid is no longer needed, if the gas pain is no longer present and your bun isn't experiencing slow gut motility. Though I would suggest discussing this with your vet first, before stopping the med.

Also, emperid shouldn't be stopped suddenly usually, but needs to be gradually decreased to allow the time needed for the body to start taking over on it's own. Suddenly stopping risks GI stasis happening. Though I'm not sure this is as much of a risk since your rabbit just started the med.

Medirabbit: metoclopramide
thank you. Well good news is that SKYE recovered the same day. She’s on selective recovery plus which she drink from a small dish. She loves it. Can this harm her if she has it a couple of times a week? She’s eating hay and I cut back in green because that’s possibly cause of excess gas in the first place. Her poo is normal and bottom clean too.

If it's just the recovery food mix (reconstituted) and it's being given as a limited supplement, I wouldn't see a problem giving it, provided no digestive upset is caused by it. It's pretty high in protein, so too much shouldn't be given unless you have a bun that's underweight and needs the extra calories, or a bun that still isn't eating other food very well and needs the extra supplement.

If it's just the recovery food mix (reconstituted) and it's being given as a limited supplement, I wouldn't see a problem giving it, provided no digestive upset is caused by it. It's pretty high in protein, so too much shouldn't be given unless you have a bun that's underweight and needs the extra calories, or a bun that still isn't eating other food very well and needs the extra supplement.
Good points. My bun is 2 kg. I am not sure how much greens to give her daily. She has lots of hay to eat daily and a cup of pellets a day.

Back