Elmer, Buddha, and Willow Blossom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalacticBunny

Reaction score
Well, I figure it's about time for me to start one of these things...

Let me introduce you to my little ones!

I'll start with Elmer.
elmer1.jpg

Elmer Mazerineis a neutered BEW Mini Rex, and the first of my current bunny family. He was born in late April of 2008, making him just a little over a year old now. Elmer is pure energy... he is the KING of binkies! He is such a curious bun, and can be a little mischevious at times. Definetly destructive, he loves to shred anything he can get his teeth on. His favorite food is without a doubt banana, but he is also a big fan of carrots and tomato. Elmer can be a spazz at times... he can get easily startled... but at the same time, she can be so mushy! He'll hop right over to me, poke me with his head for a nose scratch, and then do a massive bunny flop, grinding his teeth loudly as I stroke his face. I have been working with him on the harness, and plan on training him to do rabbit hopping in the near future... I think it will be a very positive outlet for his high energy levels.

He's gotquite a story. But Elmer's story needs a little bit of background. I guess I'll start way back, where I suppose my love of rabbits started as a young child. I'd always wanted one. Around the springtime of my freshman year in high school, my dream finally came true... I purchased a hutch, lots of food, toys, and other supplies, and then came home with a new little baby, a 2 month old broken orange mini lop doefrom a local petstore, whom I named Sheena. Sheena was truely my heart bun. She lived outside for the first year of her life, but after doing a lot of reading up on house buns, I soon purchased a big indoor cage and Sheena shared my room with me from there on out! When my senior year in high school came around, I began thinking about college. I got accepted to West Chester University in West Chester, PA, and then the harsh reality came... what would I do with my Sheeshee girl? Unfortunatly, my ma would not take on the responsibility of caring for her while I was away at school. So I did what any responsible pet- owner must do.. I set out to find her the perfect home. I put up an ad on petfinder and was surprisingly overwhelmed with dozens of responses. Most came via email, and seemed really shady... asking me to ship her out to far away places, and not providing much background about themselves. Finally, one day I recieved a call from an unknown number on my cell phone.. it was a lady from a nearby town who was interested in Sheena. She began to tell me about herself, her household, and her family. She had an 8 year old daughter and two 5 year old twin boys. They were looking for a family pet, had put a lot of thought into what type of animal they'd like to own, and decided on a rabbit. She explained to me her philosophies on keeping animals, and I agreed on everything she said! The lady asked to set up a date where she could bring her children to come see Sheena and see if my baby would be the right addition to their household. I hesitantly agreed, and when the day came that they arrived, I knew without a doubt that these people would give my little girl a wonderful home filled with attention, care, and love. The children were so gentle with Sheena, and I showed them how to pick her up properly. I gave the woman an earfull of information on rabbit care, and then, with tears welling up in my eyes, said my last goodbye to Sheena. To this day, the memory of them leaving with my rabbit absolutly breaks my heart...

Anyway, fast forward a little bit. The year spent at college was filled with learning experiences and lots of new friendships. However, being away from home at an out-of- state school was just getting to be too expensive for my family. So after my first year at WCU, I began to look into transfering to a local, in-state college. I got accepted at Rutgers University in Camden, and made the decision to move back home. Now back at home, I was confronted with the harsh reality that I gave up my dear bunny... for nothing! There was just an emptyhole in my heart. For about a month, I had to hold back from calling up the lady and asking for Sheena back. But I knew that would be a terrible thing to do... Sheena was now the beloved pet of three beautiful children, who were probably very attached to her. This is where Elmer's story begins.

I made the decision to add a new bun to my life. I had always admired BEW rabbits, and so I decided, instead of impulsively buying a petstore rabbit like I had previously done in high school, I would search for a breeder, and find my dream bunny. I settled on finding a BEW... honestly, I did not have too much preference as to what breed the rabbit would actually be... although intitially I really did want another lop. I emailed nearly a dozen breeders, inquiring about various rabbits, including a year- old BEW english angora doe... =P For some reason, none of the rabbits I emailed about seemed to click... many of the breeders I emailed were quite short and unfriendly, others lived too far away, etc. Finally, I emailed a lady located in south jersey about a litter of BEW mini rexes she had advertised on hoobly.com. She replied with a long, friendly response! We arranged a visit so I could see the babies in person. My boyfriend and I made the 40 minute drive in early May and met my little Elmer at two weeks old... I payed for him right then and there! The following 5 weeks went SO slow... I could not wait to go back and take him home. Finally, June came and we went back to get him! From there on out it has been history. Elmer is an absolute delight.

And then came Buddha..

buddha1-1.jpg

Buddha Kai is a chocolate Jersey Wooley buck. Believe it or not, he was actually born on the EXACT same day as Elmer! Buddha, also just a little over a year old, is the polar opposite of Elmer. Where Elmer is hyper, Buddha is lazy. Where Elmer is curious, Buddha isplacid. Elmer does not like to be held.. Buddha thrives on it. With all his good traits certainly comes the bad as well, just like with any bun. His litterbox habits are nowhere near perfect (Elmer has never had an accident... not ONCE!)... unfortunatly he really loves to pee in the corner of the bed, which has led to one of those plastic coves underneath the sheets.. really uncomfortable lol. Buddha is much more Tim's rabbit than mine.. he's just all around taken a liking to him. Of course, I love him no less than anybunny else!! Buddha's got a story as well..

Around August of last summer, my boyfriend Tim and I decided we wanted to add another bun to our family. We gave Elmer's breeder, Sandra, a phone call, and asked if we could come visit again and see what she had available for adoption! Again, we arranged a date, and went on down with very little expectations. Tim had mentioned that he really wanted a netherland dwarf, but I wasn't so partial to the breed. He did not want a lop, as he thought they looked "dopey and unnatural".. pffshh.. I personally did not want another mini- rex... as variety is the spice of life! But alas, we looked at babies of all three of those breeds! She had a litter of netherland dwarfs which were absolutly adorable, despite me not really liking the breed. There were a few chestnuts and I think a blue... two weeks old... I held the blue baby and it peed on me, haha! I decided to look at what else she had. She had a litter of four blue mini- rex, distantly related to my Elmer, who were ready to go to their new homes. They were beautiful, but I wasn't sold. We looked at a few oldermini- lops, a6 week old litter ofholland lops, and a big old lionhead she was looking to rehome. Still, none of them really clicked. Offered us one of Elmer's littermates, a doe who looked identical to Elmer, but she was awefully skittish. Finally, she mentioned she had an older, 4 month oldjersey wooley baby, born the same day as Elmer, who we might be interested in. She pulled him out o his hutch and handed him to me, and he just melted in my arms! Tim and I were immediatly sold... his long, fluffy coat was just irrisistable! I handed him to Tim, and he cuddled right up to him and began to kiss his cheek. Never have I met such a lovable rabbit!

And last but certainly not least, is little miss Willow Blossom.

110.jpg

Willow is a 4 month old, broken orange Vienna marked Lionhead doe. She is a total diva of a bunny. She's just started to get all those big girl hormones, and can be quite territorial about her cage. However, once out, she is an absolute DELIGHT. She loves to run around our 12 x 6' rabbit pen, doing binkies at hyper speed, bouncing off the sides of the pen and then collapsing into a super relaxed bunny flop. She is so tame... I can walk up to her and pet her while she is in her stretched out, relaxed mode and she won't move an inch.. just sit there and grind her teeth in pure bliss. I will admit,Willow wasan impulse buy from a local petstore. I happened to walk in one day in April of this year, just for my regular purchase of timothy hay, and saw her and a male littermate just sitting there looking cute as can be. I asked to hold her and realized that she had blue eyes. My heart melted. She was so relaxed in my arm, nibbled on my shirt, I stroked her head and she grinded her tiny little baby teeth. I told the owner of the petstore I'd be back in an hour... went home and cleaned up one of our old hutches, and then hurried back to the petstore. I will say right off the bat that I do not like to support the pet store trade, however this shop in particular raises the rabbits themselves and I will admitthey doa good job at it. They handle the rabbits daily unlike most shops, and actually screened me before I purchased Willow... suprisingly enough, Willow is the most tame and well- adjusted to human interactment out of all three of my rabbits.

Well, that is it for now. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed meeting my bunny family! I will update with more pictures soon!

Hi welcome to RO. Your Bunnies are Beautiful/Handsome. Great stories.

I'm so sorry you had to give your first bunny away. Have you ever thought of just phoning the lady to see how Sheena is doing?

I look forward to seeing many pictures and stories of all your little ones.

Susan :)

Thanks Susan!

I'm home from work today, run down with a nasty head cold... seems to be going around... so I figure I'll take it as a good opportunity to get a bunch of pics up!

Here's one for starters. Elmer isquite the purist! (Of course, he really is just grooming himself) :p

hearseespeaknoevil.jpg

OMG that is so cute.

I look forward to more pictures of your babies.

Susan :waiting::ponder:

ps

Can you tell I'm impatient to see more pictures of your Beauties.

Wow, your pictures are stunning. You really do have the cutest Bunnies.

What kind of camera do you use?

Hey are your bunnies inside or outside? Or are they just rally lucky have have an outdoor pen to play in?

I just love looking at all you pictures.

BTW you are very pretty.

Thanks so much Susan! =) I use an Olympus slr... 8 megapixel... not sure what the exact model is, but when I look I will let you know! As of now, Elmer and Buddha both live indoors, and Willow lives outdoors in a hutch. However, Willow will be coming inside soon, before the heat of the summer comes along. My boyfriend and I built them a huge 12' x 6' outdoor pen that they all get a turn to run around in each day =)

How are your Beautiful babies doing today? Have they gotten into any mischief?

I just love looking at all your pictures. You better watch i will come Bunny Nap all 3 of them. lol :biggrin2:

Susan;)

Your babies are delightful!

I'm particularly a sucker for the baby pictures - both of my bunnies were full grown when we adopted them.

So I introduced Elmer and Willow for the first time yesterday. (Elmer is neutered, Willow will be spayed in the future.. she's only 4 months old right now) Their first date went surprisingly well!! I was actually really nervous about introducing them. My hopes is to be able to bond them someday.. I think it is looking positive! My boyfriend Tim and I blocked off the kitchen (neutral territory for both of them), and set them down. Elmer, who is quite adventurous, hopped all over the place, getting a feel for the space. Willow, on the other hand, sat quietly where she was, I think she was a little apprehensive about the unfamiliar space. At first, they seemed completly uninterested in each other. Then, I guess they caught sight of each other, and hopped over and sniffed each other's hind ends. Then, to my shock, Elmer mounted Willow... I pushed him off. He repeated this behavior about two more times, and then they went their seperate ways. After a while, they would hop up to each other, sniff each other's faces, go their seperate ways. I must have let them stay together too long for their first date, because after a while it seemed like they were starting to get a little aggressive. Willow hopped up to Elmer and tried to mount his head... after which Elmer *attempted* to bite her... I pulled them apart before he got the chance, and then seperated them. Other than their little dissagreement towards the end, they seemed pretty much uninterested.. which makes me happy.. because at least they don't hate each other!! I've never bonded any rabbits before... so if any of you guys could give me any tips at all, it would be so helpful! I've done a good amount of reading on the topic online, however I could always use more info! Anyway, new pictures coming soon!!

Hi it sounds like the bonding is going pretty good so far. I'm too chicken to try to bond my Daisy Mae to one of my pairs. When i move i think i will try to bond her to Wilbur & Jackie. I'll need help for sure though. I will have to invite someone over to help me try and bond them though.

How are your Beautiful Babies today­. I just love looking at pictures of all of them. They are all so cute.

Latest posts

Back