Elliot Broke A Nail-pics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot

& Carole
Reaction score
My poor bunny! It's all my fault.
sad4.gif

Cleaning his paw
elliothurt011.jpg

You can see some blood on the carpet
frown.gif

elliothurt013.jpg

His nails have grown, and I had just inquired today, about getting them trimmed. I had him out in his Xpen, and I was outside. When I came in there was blood everywhere. Somehow he snapped a nail right at the toe. I got the bleeding stopped by holding him still, and applying pressure, and some cornstarch. I taught myself in the next few moments, that trimming a bunny's nails is not hard at all. So from now on, I will be clipping them myself and much more often.I am so sorry Elliot.
settled and feeling better
cloud9.gif

elliothurt015.jpg

BEAUTIFUL, hes so sweet! I know i hurt marcis one time and i wont do it anymore.. I know a groomer who will do them for me much better than i could do!

Thank you for your replies. I was ready to whisk him off to the ER vet's if it would have been anything more serious. It was very upsetting seeing so much blood!

He's so handsome! Looks just like my little Sherlock I lost right after Christmas.

As long as you get the bleeding to stop, there's nothing a vet can really do for a broken nail, but do keep an eye on it for any signs of infection.

You did good. :) And, if it's any consolation, the nail should grow back. The neighbor's dog had gotten into my rabbit area of the barn and terrorized a bunch of babies, and freed my daughter's really nice show buck, Agent Gibbs. He ended up with 3 nails torn off. This was in August, and they are just now grown in enough he can be shown. From what I've been told, provided the quick wasn't completely ripped out they'll grown back. And I'm fairly certain he's already forgiven you. :)

Missy I am sorry for your loss.
Wendy how frightening! Poor Agent Gibbs!
Oh I had not even thought that it was possibly ripped completely out.:( I was thinking it just snapped too short. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
To those who trim their buns~ After you clip the nails, do you use an emery board to smooth the edges?

Give it a bit and it should be easy enough to see...Agent Gibbs just had a teeny tiny nub left on his and they grew back. And I don't use an emery board on mine. When you're doing 720 nails at one time (if not more), I consider that an achievement in and of itself. LOL

To those who trim their buns~ After you clip the nails, do you use an emery board to smooth the edges?

I clip all of my animals nails and never have used an emery board to smooth them out. My rabbits, I just clip and that's it.

Sorry to hear about Elliot's hurt nail. And a big hugs to mommy!! You treated it just like you do a birds broken nail, or a dogs...:goodjob

i was just clipping my bunny's nails and when i was going to clip one of his nails he spazzed ans flipped out so i must have hurt him and i was so scared. afterwards he was acting different so i know he must have been in some pain. he's better now and i have decided im gonna have someone cut them for me because i get so worried and scared when i cut them.
hope your bunny is feeling better!!!

When they tear out a nail, it is frightening as it bleeds so much for such a little guy...it´s happened to me and it is frightening but normally it just mends and grows back. I clip their nail regularly and do find it quite easy although they don´t really like being held. Must know I´m doing something good for them.

I used to file my dog's nails after I trimmed them, but she would laze around and didn't care. With the buns I try to get it over with fairly quickly. The edges are really sharp right after they're trimmed, so you do have to be careful not to get scratched (people start asking about your forearm and face scratch marks, trust me) but as long as the buns have something to scratch, they should file their own edges down.

Back