Elf Updates

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf Mommy

Reaction score
I haven't had muchtime here at the beginning of the school year to do much more than readeveryone's posts and briefly reply here or there.

so, here's a belated everything about Elf post.

#1 over the fourth of july weekend, wedecided to board Elf so she wouldn't get scared of the fireworks wherewe were going to go stay. We made the appointment at the vet's officeand got everything settled. Then we changed our minds. We decided totake her with us and just protect our bun from the noise instead.However, because we had made the appointment for the day before weleft, we thought we would go ahead and put her in for one night, justin case we ever needed to do so again, so we could see how she wouldfare.

Well... When we came to pick her up thenext day, on the way to our lil weekend, I was shocked and amazed tofind out that they had put Elf under anesthesia and flushed her earsout for mites (keep in mind, being on this board, I was pretty aware ofthe symptoms, of which she had none, and I do check those gorgeous earsregularly). Needless to say, I was quite peeved. They pointed to theirsign saying that any boarded animals with fleas, mites, etc, WILL betreated at the owner's expense. So they charged me for putting herunder, flushing her ears, and the medicine to put in them for 2 weeksafterwards. I was incredibly upset. I mean, they didn't evenTRY to call me before putting her under. I could've lost her (always apossibility with anesthesia) and I wouldn't have had a choice. So...Igot a new vet. It was very frustrating, and she was very groggy allweekend, poor bun bun.

#2 Last week, we went to the feed storetogether to meet the ash smokey grey bunny with the white spot on hernose. She is incredibly mellow and sweet. Smaller than Elf, definitelydwarf in her. She came out of her cage and flopped down on the ground(spreading some pellets around for good measure first). Elf wascurious, but a little miffed that I had brought her to see anotherrabbit (THUMP! Mommy!). When Smokey got around to noticing Elf (Elfstill on her lead), she ran over, touched noses, then took a flyingleap OVER Elf and peed on her. LOL OK, I was surprised. So, was theshop owner. I wasn't even sure if that was a good sign or abad one. After that, Elf wanted to keep Smokey in her sight, but didn'twant her to come too close. There was a lot of thumping going on. Therewas a little lost fur. Eventually the both of them just lay down on theground. Elf didn't pellet much, but Smokey pilled all the way aroundher cage. I may bring her back for another meeting. We'llsee. I'd love everyone's reaction on this one. I meant to bring it upsooner, and I wish I would've brought my camera (although I was tryingto keep a close eye on them, not sure how many pictures I would'vetaken).

#3 Elf continues to enjoy her new cage.The puppy continues to be annoyed when he is penned up and she hopsright by him. She loves teasing him. She'll nose him through the cage.She'll lay down right next to his cage, out of paw's reach.Ithink she really likes him, but he is still a puppy, and a boxer, sothose clown feet of his are too heavy and too rough, yet. We're workingon them being out together very slowly. Kirby has to be on his leashstill at this point, until I'm 100% sure.

So, there's a lil Elf update. :)

oh...and an Elf picture...

"Mom....this empty container here...this is where the hay goes, just incase you forgot or something....ahem? Are you listening??? THUMP!"

Thanks for the update on elf. Sorry to hear whatthe vet did. Think you made a good choice changing vets, but in thefuture a thing might to do is have them exam her and both agree nomites or fleas and then they would be less likely to treat. Kindasounds like they wanted to make a few extra dollars.

I dont know much about bunnies when it comes to two together. So theydidnt fight? I just took mine last week to meet a boy bunny and theyjust took turns sniffing each other and running around. (he isnt usedto running free in the shelter) Plus he pee'd on the floor when Luv waschecking him out. I am sure a more experinced bunny person can tell ifthat was good or bad.

Cristy

I can't believe the vet did that toyou! My mom works for an animal hospital and they wouldn'tever do that. If they saw mites they would of quarentined herthen called you to come look. If you saw them too, thenthey'd treat! That was wrong and i am glad you found anothervet.

A visit with the other bunny that you want may be a good idea. It mightof just been a jealousy thing and a show of domence (sp) maybe thesecond visit would go better. Hope things work for you!

Believe me, if Ihad any inkling that she was under the slightest suspicion of havingmites, I would've done so. I just feel very betrayed that they didn'tcall. They had cell phone numbers, pagers, home phones...they could'vetried.

I will make sure to do so, where ever we go next. :)

Elf Picture "No Way! Cheerios!!!! I love you, Mom!"

Hi to Elf! Glad she's ok!

She looks so much like a big Bubby. Did her ears flop at the tips when she was little?

Tell her to come give Bub some lessons in sweetness. He's being astand-offish little brat lately (can anyone say raging hormones???;)).

Rose

LOL uh oh! I'mcaught. I just tried the Cheerio thing this week. She's really not intosweet stuff at all. These are just the plain Cheerios. They aren'tfrosted or honey nut or any such stuff. I'm sure they're not the bestthing in the world for her, but they are oats. One or two now and thencan't be deadly, right? (Oh please say it's ok, I've never found atreat that works LOL)

Elf's ears never flipped or flopped. Ithink it's absolutely delicious that Bub's do though. Makes such asweet lil' face, even when he's being devilish. Elf is enjoying herfreshly cleaned cage at the moment. New hay, new food, new box of hayand newspaper to rip apart, new box to turn into cardboard heaven... Iknow how lucky I am to have such a sweetheart. :D

Picture: "What is this HAY doing here? Mom hid the Cheerios, all this has to GO!"

That is infuriating that the animal hospitaltreated Elf without permission or evidence of aproblem. I'd be livid. I know for a fact that ifElf had anymites or parasites that youwould've been the firstoneto pick up on that.

I hope thatanyone reading this will fightaboutpaying such a bill whenaservicewasn't agreed upon nor necessary.It's so annoying.

On the brighter side, I'd say your little friend, Smokey, was assertingher dominance over Elf by 'putting her scent on her'. If youare to adopt another bun, you may have an easier time bonding a maleand female rather than two females. I wouldn't blame Elf forholding a grudge on her. Elf works so hard to keep herbeautiful coat clean and smooth and that little ninny had to comealong, who's just a little pee-wee and mess with it?!

Smokey has some spunk. No wonder why you love her too. What an ego! Too much!

Thanks for the update. Glad you took some time out to fill usin. Understand about the start of school. Have thatgoing on in my job as well. Stop in and see us when youcan. We love your input and stories, and the pictures of Elfare always a special treat. :)

-Carolyn

:shock:I can't believe your vet didthat! Mine would never! I mean, yes he did order a test to make sureSpice wasn't infected with a UTI but that was because I told my sisterto ask about him peeing red and he only charged me the amount it costedto get the test done, not for labor. I totally agree with your decisionto find a new vet! I'd do the same. It seems like that vet just wantedmore money!

Amelia has a simular bunny friend stuffedanimal...she loves it! I think she thinks its her babybecause she licks it all the time. When we give it to Emmitfor a sniff, he licks it too...Stuffed animals must be a lovable toyfor bunnies!

-Carrie

Elf's such a sweet thing! Cheerios are fine, I'veused them for years although the current bunnies turn up their littlenoses at them.

I used to see how many one of my big does could fit in her mouth atonce. She swallowed them whole, just about! She looked a lot like athinner browner Elf (had a thin body with wide hips).

Rose

Emmits_mom wrote:
Amelia has a simular bunny friend stuffed animal...she loves it!I think she thinks its her baby because she licks it all the time. Whenwe give it to Emmit for a sniff, he licks it too...Stuffed animals mustbe a lovable toy for bunnies!

-Carrie

Mine has a little stuffed bunny which he just pushes with his nose and sniffes him, but he does not like to play with it.
Can you sue the vet if he does that? Its not normal for them to do it without asking you.

They had a sign at the vet's stating theirpolicy. Wasa releaseinadvertently signedwhen the rabbit was dropped off? That would give the vet'soffice a pretty iron clad case, unless the patron had the vet sign awaiver to that policy, looks like she's out ofluck. Nasty trick, but a good learning experience.

Pam

Latest posts

Back