Elephant or Pinocchio nose ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serenz

Reaction score
elephantnose2ns1.jpg

I saw this bunny with other sick bunnies sharing the same cage and the well ones not too far away from this cage. Oh btw this pet shop is in Malaysia, this kinda thing won't happen in Singapore. We have SPCA to protect the animals in Singapore but I'm not too sure if there's one in Malaysia. I really doubt they'll(m'sia) will bother..

My god. I was dumbfounded.

Conversation with the boss

Me: Boss, what happened to these bunnies? Why does this bunny look like it has Elephant/Pinocchio nose?
Boss: lol. It's been a bad bunny, it has been lying.
Me: lol. Did you give them any medication?
Boss: Oh yes of cause, I gave all of them ivermectin shots 3 days ago.

and er.. this pic was taken a week later but I don't see them recovering.

In another cage, there's this little bun that looks like it's doing spilts. Permanent split. :( I suspect it's inbreeding that caused it. Heart breaking. :(

I really don't know what can be done for Malaysia pets. sigh.

Poor bun. It looks similar to growths caused by the papilloma virus in US cottontails. I couldn't find anything that looked quite like that in domestic rabbits but it could be something more local to your area. Here's some info on similar viral problems:
http://www.radil.missouri.edu/info/dora/RABBPAGE/vir.htm

As for the bunny doing the splits, we call that splay leg and yes, it is from the breeding.:(

Could you find out if Malaysia has an agency similar to the SPCA?

It reminds me slightly of tularemia, a bacterial problem. Here's some info on it:

TULAREMIA ("rabbit fever"):
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]Scientific name: Francisella tulerensis[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]Transmission:[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Through broken skin.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Undercooked infected meat.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Inhalation.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Bite of mosquito, tick, and horsefly.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Eye conjunctiva touched by contaminated hands.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]Host animals: Predominately rabbits and to a lesser extent over 100 mammals and 25 avian species.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]Incubation period: One - 10 days[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]Clinical symptoms:[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Through broken skin: flu-like in nature with skin ulceration at point of organism entry.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Ingestion: diarrhea and vomiting.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Inhalation: pneumonia.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]Treatment: Tetracyclines or dihydrostreptomycin.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]Prognosis: Ranges from complete cure to rare but possible death.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]Prevention:[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Exam gloves when exposed to animal blood, particularly that of rodents and lagamorphs.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Tick control.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Properly cooked contaminated meat.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Avoid urine contaminated water.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times"]-Good personal hygiene.[/font]

I'm not totally convinced it's not a fungal problem though. I just can't put my finger on it yet.

naturestee wrote:
Poor bun. It looks similar to growths caused by the papilloma virus in US cottontails. I couldn't find anything that looked quite like that in domestic rabbits but it could be something more local to your area. Here's some info on similar viral problems:

OMG!!! It's it's reall nose?!?!?! I thought it was it's foot under it's chin. :shock:

Eeeepppppppp!!!!!!! That's sort of scary!

Oh I forgot to mention the boss said it's not his rabbits. He's helping out to treat the rabbits. Yeah right.

I just found out that, there is spca in m'sia. I don't think the authorties will do anything, the boss will just tell them he was treating the rabbits.

A high school teacher is paid about $800myr a month that's about $347sgd or $235usd. A toilet cleaner in singapore is maybe paid about $800sgd that's $1844myr or $542usd.

There's very little things that can be done in m'sia, the place is a total chaos. Hope you know where I'm getting to.

Don't worry. I'll do what I can.. I'll update if anything happens

Sarah8000 wrote:
serenz wrote:
Oh I forgot to mention the boss said it's not his rabbits. He's helping out to treat the rabbits. Yeah right.

I just found out that, there is spca in m'sia. I don't think the authorties will do anything, the boss will just tell them he was treating the rabbits.

A high school teacher is paid about $800myr a month that's about $347sgd or $235usd. A toilet cleaner in singapore is maybe paid about $800sgd that's $1844myr or $542usd.

There's very little things that can be done in m'sia, the place is a total chaos. Hope you know where I'm getting to.

If there is an SPCA in malaysia then surely you can report this? This is what SPCA's are for!

At least then you will know you have done everything you can?

Poor bunnies, they look so sad :(

Latest posts

Back