EEEEK! Pinworms! Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yikes! While cleaning Rue's litter pan today I noticed tiny, translucent segments on the outside of her fecal balls. Upon closer examination by the vet today, she confirmed that they are indeed pinworms. We are treating her with a dewormer (Panacur or fenbendazole); one dose today and a repeat dosing in 10-14 days. I am washing everything I can, and am considering designing her litterbox and hay tubs so that they are separate (i place both litter and hay in one large box); the hay is pushed to one side, but still risks contamination.
I have read that pinworms are difficult to completely eradicate in rabbits, if not impossible. I have never dealt with a pinworm infestation in any of my rabbits, and was wondering if any of you might have knowledge or experience in this area? How can I help to get rid of these unwelcome freeloaders?!! I know there is no way of knowing, but I am fairly certain that Rue must have had this parasite since the first day I had her. I understand that it is species specific, and she likely picked it up from another bunny.
Any help, insight, or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
-Kay and Rue

Latest posts

Back