Edmonton, AHOY!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
So, we're in an even dire situation than we were in before. Right now, we have very little money (as in, about $20), and have borrowed money from my dad (which is something I swore to myself I would never do) because we're a couple weeks behind on the rent at our motel. There are at this time not really any jobs to start, or even really potential jobs, as far as our electrical company is concerned. Danny's applied to a place, but I don't know how that'll pan out.

It's tough to do much of anything because we have one car, and Em gets out of school around noon on Mondays, and around 2pm Tues-Fri. So we have to figure out how to work things.

The job market here seems to have completely crashed. I could go out and find an office job and start out at about $15/hr, except for the fact that I don't have any work clothes, much less do we have any money to find any. At this rate, maybe we'll use some of the money my dad sends to handle that. I don't know.

At any rate, we've been considering either moving to Pennsylvania or Canada (Edmonton). Danny's dad is in Edmonton, and we'd probably be able to stay with him while finding a place and work. And Jesse (JAK Rabbitry) has been trying to help me figure out moving to Pennsylvania, where the scene is much better.

Basically, the situation right now is, except for lack of money, which we could handle if we were going to just up and move outta here, we have very little belongings to move. We could basically just take our current SUV back (returning it in-person doesn't adversely effect credit), rent a small U-Haul, or similar moving vehicle, and go. We have no furniture (unless you count Em's matress), and really just have the animals to worry about (four buns, three kitties).

Anyway, I guess I'm just writing to write about it. I haven't said out loud really until now that we're considering this. It's not wildly out of our ability, what with so little belongings to our name.

I would so love to live in either place, and right now it's looking like our only option, as California has really just failed as far as living somewhere and finding work.

Pray for us. Things are so difficult, and we're just trying to hang in there at this point.

Hugs to all,

Rosie & Family

I am so sorry you are going through this, times are tough, but maybe you can try and get a loan. I hate asking anybody for anything also, but everyone needs a hand up sometimes.

Rosie....I think it is an excellent idea! The cost of living in Cali (and AZ included) is just sooo high. Ryan and I are actually hoping to get away from here and over to the east coat again.

Pennsylvania is so lovely and I think you guys would totally love it! Housing is going to cost MUCH less and I am sure there will be more work options for you and Danny.

I am very sorry that you guys are going through such a rough time. I have to agree though, that is it time to get out of there and make life better for yourselves.

:hug:

You've got friends in Texas too, ROSIE!!!! Although you might want to head further north and away from Piggy Flu!

t.

Yeah california is just getting worse and worse. I'm from Sacramento, California & my hubby is from San jose, California. my dad run his own business and the last few years have been hard and it just seems like its getting worse in Cali. My sister company that she worked for went under and shes been out of work and cant find anything else, it almost doesnt matter how well qualified you are, work is just scarce. from what i heard from my family so many places has closed, new shopping centers that were built a year or two ago are almost completely empty. My sister has made the choice to move out of state, she's actually leaving this week. I have a feeling its going to take cali a long time to get over and through this.

Im sorry you have hit hard times and i know you guys will get out of this, its just going to take some time. but my hopes & prayer go out to you guys... please keep us posted.

We've been talking about moving OUT of Pennsylvania. We live in a very depressed area and are sick of the snow. My husband drives 150 miles to work each day because there are no jobs in our area. Drug and alcohol abuse is high in our area. We're also sick of the snow.

2 of my kids are seriously considering moving to AZ within the next couple months.

The Pitt area sure looks like it's booming - and they don't get as much snow as we do.

Pam

I'm so sorry to hear about this. i hope it all goes well.
Best wishes.

pamnock wrote:
We've been talking about moving OUT of Pennsylvania. We live in a very depressed area and are sick of the snow. My husband drives 150 miles to work each day because there are no jobs in our area. Drug and alcohol abuse is high in our area. We're also sick of the snow.
You can send NZ some snow! especially up in the Auckies we don't get any :p

- prisca

I'll be praying for you Rosie - here are some things to consider about moving to Canada - which I'm sure you've probably already thought a lot about - but still yet.

We drove through Canada twice - when we moved up to Alaska and when we moved back stateside. This information is from 1996 and 2000 - so things might have changed...

You will need health certificates for each animal. The odds are good they won't ask to see them - but it is best to be prepared in case they do.

Back then - they had the right to check and see if you had a sufficient amount of money in case you broke down. I don't know if that was because we were traveling THROUGH Canada and on to Alaska or not...but we were recommended to tell them we had $5,000 on hand. Someone later told us that they tend to ask this if you have what appears to be an older vehicle that might break down.

Find out what you need to do to get work in Canada as an American citizen...and how long it takes any paperwork to go through, etc. It would be a shame to move there and then not be able to work and have to move again.

Those are the major things I can think of - I'm not sure if UHaul even lets you drop off their vehicles in Canada - I would think so - but I'm not sure.

Good luck with whatever your family decides! Keep in touch with us and let us know what is happening.

You can find some decent clothes at Goodwill if you need to. Also, if there are any churches around - see if they have a food pantry/help center.

I'm so sorry for what is going on.

hang in there and trust in the Lord and everything will be okay :)

ill keep you in my prayers

pamnock wrote:

2 of my kids are seriously considering moving to AZ within the next couple months.

The Pitt area sure looks like it's booming - and they don't get as much snow as we do.

Pam
Pam i take it you dont like our snow, lol!!!!!! WHat part of Pa are you from Pam?
Rosie i am so sorry that you are going through this, the economy sucks everywhere now, i will pray that you guys are able to get up on your feet.

Peg i have seen this show on one of the local channels about boarder patrol and i swear that i have seen them check american citizens going into Canada, to make sure that they have money, there is a certain amount needed to stay there and live? I never knew that until wtching this show, now i dont know if that is everyone crossing over or just if they stop you and ask?

Hi Rosie!

I hope things alleviate soon... I've been reading some journals, and the good news is that as California is the first one hit, odds are good that you guys will be the first to recover.
However, I think my home country is a fantastic place to live. Very low crime in general (depending on your location), provincially-sponsered healthcare (go to emergency whenever you like, for free :) ),

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

These are the funding requirements:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp
However, if you have work lined up beforehand, these can be waived...

I'm not sure how long it takes to be processed at this point in time... I guess you could always apply to the work programs.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#outside

Also, Danny's Father could sponsor you in coming to Canada:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

^^^ That might be the easiest method of all.

Best of luck to you.... Your local good-will or salvation army should have some office clothes available. I'm sure they can help.
:hug:
(Lots of ROrs in Edmonton... good place to be! Luvabun (Jan) would probably know the most about Canada and immigration)

*** Yes, you can drop off a UHaul in Canada :)

*** Re. border patrol and money: it is a federal offence to bring $10,000 or more into Canada without full disclosure to the authorities: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:

Peg i have seen this show on one of the local channels about boarder patrol and i swear that i have seen them check american citizens going into Canada, to make sure that they have money, there is a certain amount needed to stay there and live? I never knew that until wtching this show, now i dont know if that is everyone crossing over or just if they stop you and ask?
Well - I don't know for sure - as I said- my information was from 1996 and 2000.

I do remember them asking us if we had more than $10,000 cash and I snorted and said, "I wish...". He laughed w/ me.

I think the fact that we were traveling on military orders helped us with them not asking a lot of questions. We were in two vehicles - and Art was right behind me in line w/ the UHaul so when they asked about our minor children, I was able to state that their dad was right behind me with our other child (one was with me and one was with Art).

I was really nervous because we had the dogs and cats in the car and I was wondering if they were going to want to see them or what...and I offered that I had the health certificates - but he waved me on through.

I think it took Art a couple of extra minutes to get through - but then again - he had a 26 or 28 foot UHaul...so who knows...

I LOVE the mall in Edmonton - spent my 40th birthday there at the water park...and getting old-time photos taken...

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:

Pam i take it you dont like our snow, lol!!!!!! WHat part of Pa are you from Pam?

I'm originally from the Ohio "lake-effect" snowbelt, so I've certainly had my fill of the snow.

I now live in north west PA.

Pam

Thank you so much for your support, guys.

We (ahem, *I*) are leaning toward PA right now, just because I think it would be easier to adjust to, as far as not having to get passports, a work permit for me (Danny would be able to just start, as he's still a Canadian citizen), and various things.

I have looked things up, and have found that the buns won't have to have a health cert, but the cats will have to all three have paperwork saying they've each had their rabies vaccinations (which two haven't, and one has, but we don't have paperwork confirming, so all three would have to get the vaccinations). This might rule out Canada all by itself, given that we'd have to call around to find the cheapest, but it'd still be AT LEAST $150, given that they'd no-doubt charge a visit fee, the vaccination fee, and because we'd find someplace cheaper than our reg vet, they'd also charge a new customer first-time-visit fee. The only other option with this would be to check out the pet stores near us to see when their mobile vaccination vet would be coming around (or even travel a bit to one).

When I look at it, yes, we would have more things to spend money on (paperwork things) to go to Edmonton, but on the other hand, it'll take more gas (note: 12hrs more to drive) in moving to PA.

I, personally, would MUCH rather go to PA, as I think it would have so many benefits, if only to Em. I've talked to Jesse, and she's offered for us to stay with her for a couple months (hopefully we can come up with money for a place in less time, so it can be easier for everyone)...and I can just picture Em learning about the horses and helping with the horses and the bunnies. Heck, *I* would LOVE to do that, too! And riding the horses...oh man...it's something we've never done before. I would love for Em to be in a place so open and natural. She would really blossom in an environment like that!

I'm really upset that I'll basically never see my dad anymore after this (after living three hours' drive from him for years now), and we're basically at least temporarily stopping our company (permanently from CA, temporarily over all). BUT...the payback from doing this will be tremendous, and I'm excited to get out of this smog and stinky air. I am excited that we'll be living in four seasons (which I haven't had, basically since I was Em's age), have actual BLUE skies (not just smoggy blue), fresh air. We've been living in a place that has two seasons (if you call about three months of 70F weather an actual season, compared to the other 9mos of the year being 85F and up), for most of our lives, so the change will be really wonderful. I know that either way we go, we're going to really love it.

I hate to ask Danny not to live in Canada, and move farther away from his dad than we already are...but at the same time, we'd live MUCH closer to all of his other family in and around Ontario, Canada...and be able to actually visit them. Whereas, we just wouldn't be able to while living here in California (or in Edmonton, either, really). But either way, we'll be really happy and be able to build a really beautiful life wherever we go.

I wish this move were under better circumstances, but this kind of opportunity really only presents itself once in a lifetime. And what better chance would we have than now? We're in the perfect circumstance (other than if we were wealthy and were just able to hire a moving company, buy a house, etc. lol). Not to mention, how many kids are able to tell a story of driving across the country? She's going to have so many amazing experiences during our drive! She's not gonna believe her eyes when we're going across the midwest, and she sees flat, endless farmland! Man, oh man...how neat! :)

So, while the situation is scary as heck...we're going to look at the good things in it. Yes, we're leaving because of a horribly difficult circumstance...but there are so many things to look forward to! I've been wanting to move out of California for 15 years! I can't tell ya how excited I am that we're finally leaving! Either place we go, we're going to really enjoy it. :)

I live in Central PA and I absolutely LOVE IT here...I may never move away! Some areas in PA are very economically depressed and even though the land is cheap and the scenery is pretty- there are so few jobs available. So I'd definitely suggest living in or just outside a city where you KNOW you can find a job, even if it is part-time at a fast food restaurant.

But the climate, the people, the countryside...so much I love about PA! Feel free to PM me if you want anymore info about any particular areas for anything. :)

I am so glad that we pulled the plug and left California 5 years ago. We could just see the writing on the wall. The economy there is downright scarey - the state can't even pay people their state tax refunds. Good luck to you with whatever you decide to do.

Thank you so much, Patti and everyone. :)

Ok...so it's decided...but I still have to call Jesse before I announce it publically.

Needless to say, we're being sure not to get stuck in this same spot later on.

Back