Edie seems agitated lately

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdieRabbit

Reaction score
Edie has been acting agitated since wegot back from our vacation, now well over a week ago. I am getting lots of bunny death glares and she doesn't seem to want to bond with me at all anymore (unless I have raisins). She has started peeing on the floor when I let her out to roam the downstairs (she has always pooped, but never peed). In fact, shehas quit using her"house" litter box, which I couldn't keep her out of before.

I'm not talking one puddle, I'm talking puddles and puddles and lots more poos too. Then tonight, I tried to pick her up to take her downstairs to roam and she bit me. She didn't break the skin, but it still hurt. She has never done that before, either, although she grunts at me all the time, especially when I clean her pen.

My neighbor, a total animal lover, took care of her while we were away. He stopped by to feed and check on her twice a day and even spent time with her in her pen petting her. I don't know why she would be upset about that. She has alwaysseemed to like him.

It makes me upset. I thought we'd get closer, but she doesn't seem to like me at all, anymore. Since we returned home, I haven't changed her routine, andI stillgive her lots of love and treats and lavish her with attention...could she be sick of it? Before we left, she had started marking me with her chin whenI sat in her pen with her, but now she gives me the butt. Could she be THATupset that we left her for 5 days...even though we have been backhome for over a week, now?

There are two different sides to this, as I see it, behavioural and medical.

1, She could be in pain and have something wrong. That might account for the weeing in other places, and the being bitten when held (because it might be uncomfortable) so it might be worth a trip to the vets.

2, She is annoyed at you for abandoning her. if you go the the bunny 101 forum and read the language of Lagomorphs article you will see that weeing can be a sign of disgust, as can the obvious biting and things. So if the vet check shows nothing up, then maybe you need to start from scratch with everything. Relitter train her, go back to bonding basics, so sit on the floor and ignore her (read, or watch tv or something)and let her come to you, give her a treat if she does. If you google about bonding with your bunny, then you will get a lot of good ideas for what you can do.

She might have also gotten used to the neighbor and misses him.

She might have smelled differences where he was there (his animals maybe?) and feels the need to mark her territory well.

I am takingEdie to the vet this week, although I don't think it is medical since she uses her litterbox for #1 inside of her pen like she always has. She marks her territory with poos no matter where she is....like she has to redecorate or something.

She hates when I pick her up...always has. She shakes, but I have to get her from her pen to the downstairs somehow. I can't keep her cooped up all the time. I will try rebonding again. Sigh....I guess I have this to look forward to next year when we vacation.

I am taking her with me for the holidays. She doesn't like to travel but my neighbor will be out of town and I'd rather have her with me anyway. I'd have taken her on vacation if I could have. My hubby thinks I'm obsessed with her...maybe he is jealous! Ha!

I thought about her missing my neighbor. He is quite a character and she does like his attention. I'd hate to think she would rather be with him, though. :(

Don't have time to look up her history, but I'm guessing she's around six months old and not spayed?

I laughed when I saw this post, this is classic bunny puberty. :laughsmiley:

As much as I 'boned up' on bunnies when I first got Pipp, I wasn't prepared for the 'h*ll years'... well, months ;) when she hit theteenageequivalent and went from being the sweetest, most loving little bunny to a peeing, pooping, grunting and biting dwarf-sized monster.

Luckily, within a month of her spay, she was back to being the sweet little girl Iknew and loved. ;)

Hormones are evil! :devil

sas :biggrin2:

Pipp wrote:
Don't have time to look up her history, but I'm guessing she's around six months old and not spayed?

As much as I 'boned up' on bunnies when I first got Pipp, I wasn't prepared for the 'h*ll years'... well, months ;) when she hit theteenageequivalent and went from being the sweetest, most loving little bunny to a peeing, pooping, grunting and biting dwarf-sized monster.

Luckily, within a month of her spay, she was back to being the sweet little girl Iknew and loved. ;)

I have never EVER had that with a doe. How random. I wonder if you are right though, could easily be. I never even thought of that.

Pipp wrote:

Actually, she is about 3 years old...I'm not 100% on that, but it is the best I can come up with from what I know of her history. She has not been spayed yet. I am taking her to the vet and then making an appointment once I meet him and find out how bunny savvy he is. Yes, spaying would probably help....I'm hoping at least!

I'm sure that spaying will help with her territorial behavior, though you can probably expect some of that to continue even after her hormone levels drop.

And you'll be doing her such a huge favor, in terms of helping her avoid all kinds of reproductive system disorders - including cancer. Good on you for planning to get her fixed! :)

EdieRabbit wrote:
Actually, she is about 3 years old...I'm not 100% on that, but it is the best I can come up with from what I know of her history. She has not been spayed yet. I am taking her to the vet and then making an appointment once I meet him and find out how bunny savvy he is. Yes, spaying would probably help....I'm hoping at least!

I'm still inclined to blame hormones and territorial issues. I STILL get this behavior when I bring new bunnies into the house -- although I must admit Pippgave up after about the 5th. ;) Sherry was the same way.

Unfortunately, they're both spayed. (Really hate to think what they'd be like if they weren't!)

On the other hand, Dill holds a grudge like nobunny I've ever seen :grumpy: and Pipp is no slouch in that department, either. I clipped Dill's nail too short weeks ago. He's been a terror! He flicked me off and immediately went and ate a HUGE hole in my couch (just like Pipp looked at me and tore a hole in my best blanket when I brought home a couple of fosters). He wasbarely interacting with me for weeks, a bit me every chance he got. It's only been after three weeks or so that he seems to be forgiving me.

Bunnies! :biggrin2:

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
I'm still inclined to blame hormones and territorial issues. I STILL get this behavior when I bring new bunnies into the house -- although I must admit Pippgave up after about the 5th. ;) Sherry was the same way.

Unfortunately, they're both spayed. (Really hate to think what they'd be like if they weren't!)

On the other hand, Dill holds a grudge like nobunny I've ever seen :grumpy: and Pipp is no slouch in that department, either. I clipped Dill's nail too short weeks ago. He's been a terror! He flicked me off and immediately went and ate a HUGE hole in my couch (just like Pipp looked at me and tore a hole in my best blanket when I brought home a couple of fosters). He wasbarely interacting with me for weeks, a bit me every chance he got. It's only been after three weeks or so that he seems to be forgiving me.

Bunnies! :biggrin2:

sas :bunnydance:
Oh goodness! That is horrible! I guess I shouldn't complain about a little poo and pee to clean up.:sweepEdie only bit me that one time. Actually,she was better tonight...still pinning those ears back and looking at me like the killer bunny in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," but she is letting me pet her nose and head and is starting to look like she enjoys it again. I brought her inside a few days ago andset her pen up beside the Christmas tree so that she won't get left out of the festivities. LOL! :toast:Also, it is so much warmer than sitting in her pen with her out in the garage. The heat lamp works well, but I prefer the central heat! Ha!

You mentioned your buns being territorial when it comes to introducing new bunnies. I am debating about getting a friend for Edie, but am uncertain how she will react. The funny thing about Edie is I get the feeling she wouldn't mind another bunny around. We have a local pet store that has lots of baby bunnies and whenever I go there, I have to pick all of them up and hold them. I noticed that after I do this and go home, Edie is ALL OVER me. She sniffs and sniffs and licks my jeans, and marks me with her chin, like she thinks I'm another bun and she is in love! :bunnyheart

ec wrote:
I'm sure that spaying will help with her territorial behavior, though you can probably expect some of that to continue even after her hormone levels drop.

And you'll be doing her such a huge favor, in terms of helping her avoid all kinds of reproductive system disorders - including cancer. Good on you for planning to get her fixed! :)
Thanks, that is what I am trying to avoid! I want my little Edie to be healthy, happy, and with me for a long time to come!:bunnyheart

Latest posts

Back