Edie hasnt eaten today & just failed the treat test (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give her what she will take without stressing her out a lot ; if she becomes really upset then wait a while and let her calm down before you try more.

Okay, thanks. She is taking it all pretty well via the syringe. I just quit giving it to her b/c I didn't want to upset her. Should I give her more carrots, too?

Ooh, big bunny! You can probably double everything I said, although if she's been drinking already, not critical. And you can space it out.

How is she acting? Did she take the food and water fairly easily?

sas :clover:

Okay, thanks. She is taking it all pretty well via the syringe. I just quit giving it to her b/c I didn't want to upset her. Should I give her more carrots, too?

I'd say another 10mL of carrots would be good, unless she starts to struggle with you.

edit: wanted to add that californians are NOT prone to tooth issues. It's the lops and dwarves and sometimes dutch that seem to be. That doesn't mean that it isn't happening, just that it's less likely than for another breed. Calis seem to be pretty robust, I think...

She is acting fine...maybe a bit more docile than usual. It is hard to tell b/c she is so laid back anyway. She did jump out of the towel I was holding her in and ran around the pen. She took everything by the syringe just fine. She usually does take most everything in stride, though.

Okay, I gave her 10 ml more carrots and 5 ml more water. She didn't want anymore than the 5 ml of water...it was dribbling out of her mouth after that. She definitely wants to lay down. I massaged her tummy again and put her back on the heating pad. Is it a good sign that she let me feed her 20 ml of carrots and 15 ml of water (in addition to the water she has been drinking)?

Yup, good signs.

Now she needs to poop! Pass on a message for me...

:litterempty: <--- not acceptable

:litterfew: <--- somewhat acceptable

:litterhealthy: <--- this is the ticket!

sas :bunnydance:

My beautiful Edie Rabbit has crossed over the rainbow bridge. I am in shock and tears right now. I just can't believe that it happened so fast. Iput her on the dryer as was suggested in another post andat that point she was very lethargic...just so suddenly. She fell over when I put her back in her pen. I woke up DH & we grabbed DD, a bottle, the diaper bag and rushed to University of TN emergency vet clinic. I held Edie the entire way. In my heart, Iknew then she wouldn't be coming home with us alive.

The vet suggested sub q fluids, which we did, and it had noeffect. She just kept getting weaker and weaker. She suggested putting her on Oxygen, running bloodwork, X-rays, etc, but she said that she felt at this point, it would do no good. It would have cost us a minimum of $700 just of the tests. After 20 minutes of bawling my eyes out, we made the decision to put her to sleep. I didn't want her to suffer anymore for no reason. I held her and hugged her and kissed her goodbye, told her that I loved her, thatI would miss her so much and that I was sorry that I had failed her. She passed away before they had the chance to put her to sleep.

I will miss her generous bunny kisses, soft fur, huge dewlap and how sweet and gentle she was. She was the perfect bunny. I loved her so much. I have no words to describe just how much. I keep thinking, I should have taken her sooner. We are just so broke right now, I was hoping she'd hold her own until I could get her to the vet this morning. I just can't believe how fast she went down.

She was a rescue bun. I rescued her from our neighbors who moved out of their home and left her without food and water to die in the July heat. She lived with us for almost 2.5 years. I'm not sure how old she was. I always estimated 4.5 - 5 years, but she could have been older than that. I just didn't want to think of her being an older bun b/c I wanted to have her around for a very long time.

I built her a bunny penthouse, 4' x 8' with a second level. She loved it! I could leave the cage open and always count on her returning to her pen. She learned to hop through the pet door from inside the house into the garage so that she could get back to her pen whenever we brought her in the house. I had an outdoor pen for her and the neighborhood kids would all come visit and pet her on nice sunny days. She loved it.

She would sit in my lap for hours and lick me while I petted her. She really, really trusted me...after the hell that her previous owners put her though, for her to trust another human again always amazed me. I could never replace her. There will never be another bun like her. I just can't believe that she is gone!

I love you Edie...you will be missed terribly. I know God has a special place in heaven for you with lots of bunny treats and angels to pet you. I'm so sorry that you had to pass away like this...I have dreaded this day.

Here are a couple of pics. The first one is Edie in her pirate Halloween costume. I dressed her up so that the kids could pet her when they came to the door for candy. She didn't care one bit! Like I said, she was an exceptionally sweet bun. Please pray for me. I am a wreck right now.

Photo_103107_013.jpg

My favorite pic of her...it captures her whole sweet disposition...

Photo_102407_007-1.jpg

With one of the neighborhood kids...

Photo_070308_002.jpg

I am so sorry. It sounded like she was doing better since she was letting you give her food. She was so beautiful and special. It's wonderful that she was such a loving rabbit that enjoyed people's company. Every night before I shut of my computer before I go to bed, I think about the bunnies that are ill in the Infirmary, and of the stories I've been following, Edie wasn't the one I worried the most about--it sounded like she was going to pull through ok.

She had a good life with you, and I know she was grateful for that. I'm so sorry we didn't have the answers to get her through this. Binky free, Edie.

i am so sorry, i know how you are feeling right now. i too lost one, Smudge. I am truly sorry, i know you are hurt. But at least you know she is binking around and happy and not sick or suffering. I am sorry. Binky free

Am sooo sorry for you !! Edie "Binky free" at the bridge Darling,she WILL know you loved her tons and knew, it sounds from the time you got her you`d be devoted to her i`m glad you found her and i personally believe i`ll meet all my past pets and that cheers me up! sending you healing wishes to your broken heart ! XXX

we're so sorry that you lost your Edie, No matter how hard we try and how hard we wish, we can't keep them with us as long as we want. Don't be hard on yourself--you rescued her and gave her love and a forever home--not all bunnies are so fortunate. We miss all of our bridge bunnies, and in spite of trying hard and spending hundreds at the vets, we've only had sucess with one bunny out of seven. Some people think we are crazy because all our bunnies are rescues too, but, we do love them and they become a special part of our family. Binky free at the Bridge Edie and rest in peace--there's no more pain or abandonment for you and you'll always be loved and special.

I miss her so much! I've been crying all day. I wish she had died in my arms and not the vet's arms. They wouldn't let us go back with her. At least she was being held when she passed. DH buried her in the woods behind our house. We put all of her bunny things in the garage. It is too painful to see them. I keep wondering if I had taken her in sooner would things have been different. I also wonder if the dryer didn't scare her to death. I want my baby back!

Latest posts

Back