Ecotrition pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coco_puffs

Reaction score
Hi all: in exchange for some computer work, a guy up the street gave us a bag of Ecotrition Essential Blend Food for Adult Rabbits" and it has all kinds of stuff in it, including:

• Soybean hulls
  • Feeding oat meal
  • Wheat middlings
  • Peanuts
  • Minced Onions
  • Ground wheat
  • Corn gluten
  • Cane Molasses
  • Salt
  • Dehydrated Potatoes
  • Tomato flakes
  • .... many more
Those are just a few things that I would not think to feed my buns. Should we just chuck this bag of food? I hate to waste any kind of food - maybe I can feed it to the Muscovy ducks outside.

Thanks for any advice.

I looked up the GA on your pellet:
"Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein 16.0%, Crude Fat 5.0%, Crude Fiber 18% (max) 23.0%, Moisture (max) 12.0%, Calcium 0.10% (max) 0.60%, Salt 0.10% (max) 0.60%, Phosphorus 0.35%, Vitamin A 2,4000 IU/Lb, Vitamin D3 1,000 IU/Lb, Vitamin E - 30 IU/Lb"
It's not that bad but I'd prefer to see lower protein, lower fat and higher fiber.

The peanuts and celery and tomato flakes and stuff is a little weird. I'd like to know if they had a nutritional reason or if they're doing it just so they can push that it has veggies in it which would appeal to some consumers.

Depending on what you usually feed, it may not hurt, but if it were me I'd probably just donate the pellets to an animal shelter as I dnn't like switching the pellet my rabbits are on anyway.

Well thank you! How nice of you to do that research. I didn't think about the "switching pellets" issue and agree with you on that. They're on Oxbow now and they love them and are thriving. I think we'll donate that other food somewhere. That was a great idea.

I agree with either donating the new bag or using as treats. To me the concerning things are the minced onions and dehydrated potatoes. A very strange blend indeed. I would just stick with what you've got, nice of the man to think of your bunns though :)

Back