Ebony Having Dental Surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
Yesterday my Dad and I noticed Ebony seemed lethargic and wasn't pooping much. Later in the evening she improved but was below par againthis morning. We booked a vets appointment (took the 2:30 one offered).

Well the vet checked her stomach and said there was a hard area and in general her stomach felt empty so her stomach could be starting to shut down. When Ebony's mouth was checked, there was some sign the vet could see or sense that the pointed bits on her teeth (molar spurs?) felt sharp and these being too long could be the problemthat had reduced her appetite and led to the stomach trouble.

This supposedlyshould be a simple issue to resolve (some trimming and tooth filing) with a short time under anesthetic, but I'm nervous anyway :nerves1. Bring on the phone call where I'm told she has come through the surgery fine!

Jo xx

Its nervewracking anytime one of our buns goes through a GA.

I hope that she comes out of it fine. She will probably need lots of TLC after.

All my spur buns have come round and done fine, but the last one took a few days to bounce back. Hopefully Ebony will be her normal self tonight, but if she isn't, try not to panic.

Is she a bun who lives inside?

Thankyou for the good wishes Tracey. The vet did mention the medication and syringe feeding Ebony will need afterwards.She has been an indoor bunny since Nov 08 when our winter suddenlyturned very cold. We were hoping to return her to her outsde hutch soon as the weather has turned much milder as Spring comes. She'll be inside at least until she has fully recovered from this episode though.

Jo xx

Aw, it's good she is inside and used to it :)

I found that grass worked well to tempt mine, as did dandelion leaves. I didn't want to syringe feed him too much because of the kind of bun he is, so I annoyed him by waving things in front of his face and that worked quite well. He's the only one I've had to syringe feed, the rest all ate fine that night and were back to normal quickly. Hopefully Ebony will be one of those :)

Hopefully she will make a speedy recovery :) Please keep us updated :)

One of my buns has gone through multiple dentals and many forum memeber have buns that get regualr molar grinds

you may want to get some pedialyte and also some canned pumpkin (without seasoning for pies); can the vet provide you with critical care.?
Sometimes they will eat right away .you can even soften the pellets but other times takes a few days for them to get used to the new feel of their mouths and recover form the procedure.
Allow a little time before syringe feeding as Ebony may start eating on her own.

Just to add that over here its called Dioralyte :) not Pedialyte.

Please let us know how Ebony is once you've got her settled.

Hello all,
The short version of my happy update is that Ebony is fine now :)

She remained verygroggy from the anaesthetic until early Saturday morning with no interest in food. Shetook water onlywhen it was offered to her.

After that she had some periods of actvity with a lot of resting inbetween them. On Sat morning she was starting to nibble hay (which she has always liked alot), then she slowly progressed to nibbling her pellets too. It took a while for the meds, recovery food and hay to lead to pooping but it did happen and I was veryrelieved!

This afternoon, after hearing how she was behaving and checking her physically, the vet gave Ebony a clean bill of health. She told us a check up appointment with the dental vet in 6 weeks was appropriate and that Ebony's teeth troubles were at the lower end of the spectrum.

Thankyou all for the written and any thought"get well" wishes for Ebony.

Am sure she will put in an appearance in the 'Bunnies Only' forum to complain about being given medicine very soon ;).

Jo xx

Latest posts

Back