Eating more hay than normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mootpoint

Reaction score
This past week or so, Rosie has been eating tons more hay than normal and is always bugging me for food. She has never had that 'hungry' attitude before.

I just switched her food from some crappy mix to Oxbow Bunny basics...but I am feeding the same amount as before (the recommended amount for her weight). I don't understand why this switch would cause an increase in her hay consumption.

They only other difference is that she was recently spayed. Would this affect appetite?

The switch in food and definitely the spaying has increased your bunnies appetite. It's probably really a hormone rush which will eventually fade.

If she was mine, I'd keep feeding her the same portion of pellets, but give her all the hay she wants. As long as it's not alfalfa, which can be fattening.

K:)

I feed timothy hay as well as a little bit of orchard grass (which I feed more as a treat than as a staple), and I have been refilling her hay bin as it runs out. I've heard that rabbits should be offered a constant supply of hay so I've just been giving her more as she asks for it.

Thanks for the reply, wasn't sure why her eating habits had soared so dramatically (she normally really isn't much of a hay-eater).

Hope she stays interested in hay after this surge is done. Definitely needed "free choice" to help keep digestive systems moving, and good source to keep their teeth healthy.

K:)

Latest posts

Back