Eating Litter.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sesame376

Reaction score
Hi, my bunny seems to be eating the litter in his litterbox. He has yesterdays news, and everytime he goes in it he starts to eat it.

i thought maybe he was to eat while pooing so i put hay at the edge of litter box but he is still eating the yesterdays news.

what should i do?

I had this problem with Carefresh, which is also a recycled paper litter. Switch to wood pellets. I like them better anyway and they seem a lot less "tasty." You can get Feline Pine in a lot of pet stores, but I buy the stuff made for horse stalls (or wood stoves as long as it's 100% wood and is kiln dried) that you can get at farm/feed stores. It's much cheaper that way.

It is a good idea to have hay in the litterbox. Rabbits like to eat and poop and it's a trick to get even many non-litter trained rabbits using the box for the most part.

Benjamin also used to eat Yesterday's News. We got a litterbox with a grate in it to keep him from the litter, and that worked. After a while we switched to wood stove pellets, and removed the grate, no problems.

My buns do the same - I bought those plastic knitting screens from the craft store (they're like 50 cents for one) - usually you find them in the knitting section, and it's just a plastic mesh - I cut it to size and place on top the litter. The pee fits through, but not the poop. It keeps them from eating the litter and it keeps the poop seperate in case you want to use it as fertilizer in your garden. :)

Just be careful with the plastic mesh, Mocha ate it!

I do use flourescent lighting grids in Mocha and Loki's litter boxes now as Loki likes to dig everything out and make a mess.

Julie started eating her litter when I switched to one of the ones that resemble pellets. She eats so much as to make her self sick. I bought a metal grate that her poops and pee goes through. It is a cookie rack used for cooling cookies from WalMart. I just bought a new box that fit the grate to use as her litter box. This is the only way that I can keep her from eating it. Once she got the taste for it ..............she will sometimes try and get the grate off.........but for the most part it works.

2of mine feasted on carefresh so I changed to yesterdays news and they also made a meal of that.I switched to a pelleted kiln dried pine pellet that is actually horse bedding and is sold in farm stores . I guess that is not taasty as they went back to eating their food instead.

Latest posts

Back