Eating limited hay/pellets a day after his neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherv

Reaction score
My bun Buster was neutered yesterday and we came home around 4pm that day...he ate a little and drank water but not much...he would eat a few pieces of spinach leaves though. I haven't had to refill his hay rack since his neuter which concerns me. He's been a little more lathargic since home from his neuter...but still himself, hops around less, his eyes are clear and bright, he's still friendly and likes attention. Should I be concerned or is this normal? Also he is using his litterbox to pee and poop and his poops are normal round firm and dark....though he has less in his litterbox but assume that goes along with his eating less then usual.

I feed him timothy hay and timothy pellets. He'll nibble on the hay if I put in on the floor in front of him but I haven't seen him eat the hay from the hay rack...doesn't mean he hasn't but I haven't seen him and the amount of hay looks about the same as yesterday
:what

That sounds pretty normal for a day after being neutered. It may take a few days to get more back to normal for eating. Since he is eating now, producing normal poops, and acting normally, there isn't a need to worry.

If he does seem to prefer to eat hay off the floor right now, then do that. Once he is eating more normally, he should eat the hay from the hay rack and you can stop putting it on the floor.

I think the anesthesia can cause them to feel nauseous and not want to eat much. If your bun will eat some leafy greens and is used to them, I would keep trying to feed him more of his usual leafy greens every half hour or so. That's what I did when one of my buns would only eat a little bit of leafy greens at a time, after his neuter. I just kept offering them to him all day, and after about 2 days he was back to normal. You just need to make sure he is eating enough that he is getting adequate fluids and nutrition, otherwise you may need to resort to syringe feeding.

Latest posts

Back