eating hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
ok so when i got storm he was eating a bowl of hay a day.

now i am having to fill the same bowl up 3 or4 times a day.

his sheduale is
free eat pellots
2 salads a day
and free eat hay

is it normal for his hay consuption
to go up.
i have only had him for less then a week.
but he has almost tripled in his hay consumption.

Like Randy said, unlimited hay is good. How old is Storm and/or how much does he weigh? How big are his salads? I wouldn't free-feed pellets to an adult bunny. Maybe the hay you give him is more tasty than before?

I am not sure about his age.
he weighs about 1 1/2 pounds.
he could stand to gain a few pounds as i can feel his hip bone when i pet him.
cant see them just feel.

each saled is about a two cups.
give or take a small amount.

the only reason i dont know his age is he is a unclaimed rabbit from hurricaine ike.
he is a dwarf netherland.

oh also thoughy i should add
his salads have
romaine lettuce
1baby carrot
2 cellery stinks
1 piece of brocolly
1 piece of tomato

Well the rest of his diet sounds fine, but I probably wouldn't be free-feeding him pellets. I know you didn't ask for advice on his diet, but in general lots of hay and fewer pellets is better. My bf's two Netherland Dwarves (Frida and Benjamin) get about 1/4c of pellets each every day, which is more than I personally would feed them, but they don't seem to be getting too fat. They also get 1c veggies each two times a day. It is fine to be able to feel his hip bones. Weight can be a difficult thing to assess on a rabbit

It sounds like you're taking good care of him and he needs a parent like you after what he's been through! Eating lots of hay is a good thing.;)

Thank you.
its good to here that i am doing a good job with him.
i will cut back his pellets amd start messuring them tomorrow.

i hope he comes around i have had to give him meds after his nueter so he freaked out when he sees me.

Latest posts

Back