Eating Habits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
Ok I see so many post about people giving there buns pellets in the morning and at night.

I give storm his pellets in the morning and he eats them through out the day not all at once he gets romaine letuce 2 times a day in the morning and at night.

BTW he is a very picky eater wont eat many greens for some reason.

But is it normal for him to nibble on his pellets through out the day or am I giving him to much.

Sense his saleds are down sized he get 1/4 cup oif pellets and probally 6 piece of romaine letuce a day. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal for him to munch throug out the day.

Edit to add: He finishes his pellets by the next morning Its always empty

Thanks again

All buns are different, what is his age? That can make a difference too. Does he eat alot of hay? I think it's good that he doesn't eat too many pellets.;) Salads are good too!:D I do feed mine pellets in the morning and evening, and he's good with it as long as he gets a salad and has tons of hay and water. Not sure if you've ever heard the term, but rabbits won't eat if they don't have water.;)

I am going to say 1 to 3 on age I just dont know.

Yes he normally get a gereat saled but I bought parsley and romaine lettucce and carrot tops and spinach.He would only eat the romaine lettuce so in turn I cant buy more stuff I am on a set bugget with him so he has to eat just lettuce for two weeks.

Yes he eats hay likes theres no tomorrow I fill the thing up about 4 times a day.

And he has 3 crocks in his cage so he should get plenty of water.

I was trying to find out if anyone else had a opion.

Is 1/4 of pellet to much for what he is eating that is my main question. He get 6 pieces of romiane lettuce. I dont want him to get fat

My bunnies get about 1/4 cup of pellets each, each day. The bunnies range from 4 to 6 pounds.

I give salad in the morning, and pellets at around 5pm. Nick and Amelia will usually finish all of their pellets by the time I go to bed, but Tobi likes to snack on hers all night long. They are usually gone by the morning.
I think Nick and Amelia gobble theirs up, because they have to compete with each other to get the food. Tobi does not have to worry about anybunny else eating her food, so she takes her time eating it. Maybe that's what Storm is doing, too.

It seems like most people give pellets in the morning, and salad in the evening, but I do it the other way. I don't think that matters. Mine each get 1-2 cups of salad per day.

Sounds like you're doing the right things! He won't get fat on Romaine, no! Veggies are the best!;)

Just keep it up, if eating habits continue to change, just post. We can help you out. Best of luck!:)

Thank you all.

If your bun are 4 to 6 pound then I could stand to drop him to 1/8 of a cupof pellets because he is only 2 pounds. Am I right or wrong?

I want to get him on the same amount of pellets all the time.

Will he eat what he needs to in hay to maintain his weight if the pellets for what ever reason are not enough?

Or will he start getting skinny?

Its hard for me to tell a good weight for him with my dogs I can look at them a ajust accordingly. But when he is a dwarf and starting to get a due lap I know he is putting on to much weight.

Thanks in advance

:bump

I am holding off on giving him his pellets today cause I am trying to figure this out. Cause we go grocrey sopping saterday.

Hi PBJ, it's ok if Storm doesn't eat his pellets all in one go. Rabbits are by nature "browsers", they can eat pretty much the whole time they are active. That doesn't mean that's all they do, of course, they also do play and binky etc :)
Many vets and others even say rabbits don't need pellets at all, though most people do feed a small amount. If you think Storm is gaining too much weight, you can easily cut down on his pellets, he'll be ok with only 1/8 cup, as long as he gets a variety of good grass hays and greens as well.

Thanks yes he does get 3 different kinds of hay and his saled I have yet to find other thing he likes though beside brocoli celery carrots romaine letuce so I am trying cause we cut brocoli

Latest posts

Back