Eating Fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puda32

Reaction score
I bought a mini-rex/dwarf dutch about a month ora month and a half ago. It started to "lose its fur" on the front ofits chest area. After watching it more closely, I realized that it wasactually pulling out his fur, and has moved to its sides and is pullingout that fur. The people at the pet store said it was probably stress,but I was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions as to thecause or solution of this problem. Thanks a lot!!!

A doe will commonly pull fur out from it's chestwhen going through a "false pregnancy" as it acts out nestingbehaviors. If your rabbit is at least 12 weeks old, and youpurchased it around a month ago, it could be a "genuine" pregnancy, soI'd keep a close eye on her. Is she carrying the fur in hermouth and placing it in one area? If you give her hay, doesshe gather it up and carry it around? Does may also "pat" thenest site with their front feet.

Males may also "barber" themselves and pull fur out. Thistendency appears to be at least partially genetic in nature, butproviding the rabbit with toys and hay may help to distract it'sattention.

Skin irritations can also result in fur pulling or self mutilation as well as nutritional deficiencies.

Keep us updated on her (or his?) behavior,

Pam

When they are pulling out fur that means theyneed food or water or it could be trying to make a bed..If it stillpulls out fur make sure to fill him up on stuff he really likes..If hedoesn't eat for a long time then you may have to force feed the rabbitsoak up the food and put it on his nose or something so it will lick itoff why is because he will starve to death if he doesn't eat

Jessica. P.S.Keep us up on the updates.

Latest posts

Back