Eating everything!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pancakes

Reaction score
Hello RO,

Huggies (our 3 month old Female Holland Lop) is starting to eat everything in sight. In our litter we line it with Newspaper, we turn around and guess what? Newspaper is not on the ground but in her mouth? We also took her out to play, which we lay down some plastic table cloth (in cause of a boo boo) and what do you know she is ripping that up and eating that also!!!!She is eating hay and pellets still, we changed her pellets the other day (both still alafla based). What could be the issues with her? I should assume this is not healthy, what can we do to stop her? How do you use newspaper in the litter if she is going to eat it? any info would be great!!!!

Thanks,

Jeff N Sarah

Most likely it is because she is starting to enter her "rebellious teen" stage of development. A lot of rabbits I've had start tearing up newspaper and anything they can get a hold of, because it is fun. There isn't to much you can do except keep her away from stuff you don't want chewed up, give her lots of toys that she can chew, such as an old phone book and a favorite of my bunnies, an empty toilet paper tube stuffed with hay,and plenty of time to run around to wear off excess energy.Also have her spayed when she reaches the appropriate age.This will cut the hormones down a little.

:yeahthat

And I'll add cardboard boxes to the list, which is a favourite around here. It's okay if they eat them.

Oh, and apple or pear tree branches for chew toys.

sas :)

What everyone is saying sounds about right. Isn't this stage fun?

Using shredded newspaper is a little on the stinky side. There are products like Yesterdays News, WoodyPet, and Cellsorb that would work much better. She'll probably dig that out, too. I have a few "diggers" and have stopped them from doing this by placing a grate just below the litter.
She does need to be kept busy......toilet paper & paper towe lrolls, filled with hay, will keep her occupied......for a minute or two.

Honeysuckle Rabbitry wrote:
plenty of time to run around to wear off excess energy. Also have her spayed when she reaches the appropriate age. This will cut the hormones down a little.
This causes one concern for us.. When we bring her out to play she doesnt want to run around and burn off that extra energy. She tends to sit in one area and doesnt explore at all. AT times she will rip the table cloth, but thats about it!!!

Thanks,

Jeff N Sarah

Has she been out to play in the same area several times? Mabye she just needs to get used to the area you turn her loose in. Also, don't give her a great big area all at once, star twith something small and increase it gradually. so she can adjust. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back