Eating carpet ..... Help!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margarita

Reaction score
Hello all it's been a while since I've been on here.

My rabbit is constantly eating the carpet downstairs when I'm home. She does it right in front of me and I yell no and she stops (sometimes) then goes to another spot. She has her own bedroom which I put wood floors down because she was eating that carpet. I can't afford to do my downstairs at the moment and have no clue how to make her stop. She has every toy imaginable I don't know what else to do. She doesn't really like toys only sticks and wicker ball type of stuff.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

You could try bitter sprays, perfume, or cover up her favorite spots with a mat or something, but if she's really determined, probably the only thing you can do is not give her access to carpeted rooms

I agree that you may have to restrict her access to the carpeted rooms. No matter what i did with Bandit he is absolutely determined to chew carpet, nothing will stop him, so I just have to not let him on carpet. Your other option is to cover the carpet she has access to with some sort of matting.

My bunnies are pretty determined to chew carpet too. I live in an apartment so I can't really put them in noncarpeted areas. Instead, I bought these mats to make a play area for them and they can chew them as much as they want. Maybe you could do something similar.

My rabbit Buster also loves to chew and dig at the carpet. The only thing that seems to work is putting down flat cardboard for him to chew and throwing hay all over the floor. Buster likes to eat his hay spread out over the floor. I guess it reminds them of grass outside... It makes a mess but it seems to work. Good luck :)

Thanks everyone. What kind of Matt do you put down? The grass ones?

margarita likes to spread her hay out on the floor also! Glad shes not the only one. :)

The mats I use are carpet-like. They are the kind that you would wipe your feet on and they come in a large size.

May have to set up a playpen and cut out access. Commander Bun-Bun used to go in my closet and dig a hole in the carpet. Once we got tile and wood flooring, it restricted her access as she didn't wander on either so she could no longer terrorize the carpet or the living room couch.

You could put down grass or cardboard mats, but be aware that they will eventually chew or dig through them to the carpet. You could also use a layer of fleece blankets, those foam puzzle mats or a rubber mat. If your rabbit chews some of them too much, make sure that they don't ingest too much. Bandit tears his foam mats to pieces, but he never eats any so it's ok.

I sprayed bitter apple and it seems to be working so far. Hopefully it works

Thanks everyone

Latest posts

Back