Easter is Staring

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew_F

Reaction score
Hello all. My 3 year old mini-rex Easter, who is usually very active, is now sitting under my bed staring into space. He has never done this before and I am not sure if he is in pain, but he isn't moving at all, not even for a piece of banana! He lets me pet him and he isn't grinding his teeth, but I am just worried. Thank you!

Has he pooped recently that you can tell?

Is he flattening against the floor with his tummy?

He could have gas. You should give him simethicone for babies and put him on a warm towel or something.

I've come to believe that everything unusual could be gas,,
so I would try giving him about 1 cc of simethicone in the form of infant liquid gas drops.
Also try to give a him a gentle tummy massage if he will allow it

Could be or (Not) be gas but if he does not respond to up to 3 doses of this in about a 5 hr period then post back
also if any new symptoms appear.

if anything else occured that you didn't originally post please let us know.....

Hello again. Thanks for all the tips. I gave him some simethicone i think (i think i might have just sprayed his mouth. i am not sure the best way to do this with the dropper. do i just jam it in his mouth?). He has also let me rub his belly. How long before the next dose and what is the best way to administer? How long should it take for him to get better? Thanks again!

i would use a syringe thingie to administer the simethiocone. also, to make it easier, i find that if you do a 'bunny burrito' (ie; wrapping your bun in a towel so they stay still) it makes it a LOT easier, as the bunny won't move quite as much as without.

ETA: can you hear any like gurgling noises when you hold your ear against your buns' tummy? i know when my guy fred had gas problems i heard it before i saw his lethargy.

Okay. I just went back in to check on him and he is out in the light sniffing around. I think he's better. He didn't let me rub his belly (he never does) so I think thats a good sign! Thank you everyone for the advice!

I'm glad that he's beter.

I usually kneel over the bun while he is up-right on the floor andI am on my knees. I insert the syringe in the side of the mouth behind the front teeth with syringe pointed to the side not the back of the mouth. I then gently push the oral medout of the syringe slowly watching as the bun swallows.
I am wary of burritos or turning the bun upside down ..people have different methods. I am very concerned about the possibility of the bun aspirating any liquid I may give so I always take my time, give it slowly , watch the bun swallow and often end up holding him in one place between my knees ,under me while I give an oral med.

Latest posts

Back