Earwig in Cocoa's cage!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
Yesterday I was cleaning Cocoa's cage and I picked up his castle for a minute to wipe it off. When I put the castle back in his cage I saw an earwig crawling on it!! I was shocked! Where the heck did it come from?? I have never seen those bugs in my house before. Luckily Cocoa was in his playpen at the time, so I closed the door to his cage so he couldn't go in until I killed it.

Have any of you ever seen a bug in your bunny's cage? I am not sure how long the earwig was in his cage, I hope it didn't do anything to Cocoa!

I have to say honestly I do not know what an earwig looks like...

Bugs in general I have always believed are attracted to food, poop, water etc.
Not surprised to hear a little critter found what he probably thought was heaven...

We have a wicked ant problem in this new house...I am constant worried that they will end up in Simons house...hay, water, pellets..etc..

Constant vigal....

Hope you get to stay bug free!

Ah well see now I did know what they look like just not the proper name.
As a kid we always called them "pinchers"...lol
Man they hurt when they do...and god knows I HATE them...

ICK!

I found a roach in Sparky and Scooter's pen once when we lived in California. Eeeeew! The house got bug bombed the next day.

I so glad we have a regular pest control service here in Florida. It's pretty much a necessity here.

BLEUGH!!!! :shock::shock::shock: Omg, rather you than me! I have such a phobia of earwigs... it started when I went camping with my friends a few years ago. I'd had a horrible dream of earwigs crawling all over me, and I woke up in my tennt, and all I could see was an earwig on the outer layer of our tent. But the sun made it's shadow look HUGE, and I could see it's pincers (sp?) moving, and I swear to God I have never screamed so loud in all my life! It then turned out to be only 6am and my friends were less than impressed with me- and I've been terrified of them ever since lol! But anyway, I'm rambling now...

Aside from that babble, I'm very sorry to say I have nothing helpful to add. I don't know what harm an earwig could do to a bunny, if anything, and unfortunately, I don't know what attracts them to things! I'd say just keep the area clear of debris like hay, poop etc and keep a look out for any pincers moving! :shock: *shivers*

I woudn't worry too much about an earwig, most insects are just looking for something to eat or somewhere to sleep mostly.

The earwig where you live is the European or common earwig, and they feed on plant matter such as clover, grapes, grass shoots, celery, lettuce, sunflowers, beans, beats etc. They are drawn to warm or damp areas normally and are nocternal by nature. They like to sleep in places like rolled up magazines. This one might have just been wandering and perhaps been attracted by some food in Cocoa's cage.

In NZ if you have an outdoor rabbit hutch with newspaper and hay in it anywhere, you'll always find at least a couple of earwigs. They just like to hide somewhere dark and warm.

I find earwigs in my bunnies cages a lot...but it's hard to keep them out since their outdoors in a shed ;) Best way to prevent them is to clean up messes, etc. I just kill any bug when I see it in the cages and near the bunnies :)

Emily

That's what happens with my outdoor bunnies. I find earwigs on their water-bottles, but thats the only place I find them. And they are on the outside of the bottle. So yeah.

And that's true too, BlueSky. ;)

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I find earwigs in my bunnies cages a lot...but it's hard to keep them out since their outdoors in a shed ;) Best way to prevent them is to clean up messes, etc. I just kill any bug when I see it in the cages and near the bunnies :)

Emily
^
Yah That

I woke up around 3AM one night to Georgie thump-thump-thumping his little butt off. I couldn't figure out what the problem was...he had feed, fresh water, and a nice pile of veggies sitting on his top shelf. I turned out the light to see a spider hanging down the middle of Georgie's cage:shock2:

I freaked out (which is not normal, because I typically like spiders and will carry them outside to safety) and promptly squashed the little bugger. The rest of the night I swear Georgie thought it was still in his cage because every 20 minutes or so I would hear a huge THUMP. He's 13 pounds, so when he thumps it shakes my apartment.

I know how you feel!

Oh - I've been made aware by Bella's thumping of an unwanted guest -

A house centipede!!!!!!!!

Ewwww! They are not dangerous - but man are they scary and icky looking. I've since sprayed the attic that is ajar from the Bunny Room and cross all my fingers and toes - I haven't seen one this year yet.

I hate them Really. My husband doesn't understand why they freak me out so much. He keeps telling me how I'm bigger and they're not dangerous - blah, blah, blah. I think that if one ever touched me I'd die on the spot - lol.:faint:

Latest posts

Back