Ears falling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea31

Reaction score
Last night we came home from dinner and Miffy's ear was not sticking up. Does this mean she will be a lop eared bun or should I be concerned about it? She is eating fine and is full of energy and when I mess with her ear it doesn't bother her. I have searched on the internet for information, but I came up with nothing.

IMG_2264Small.jpg

Yup! She's a lop! And a cute one at that! The ears usually lopwhen the bunny is a few months old. I know you were wondering about her breed. Unless she's big, she's either a Holland lop or a mini lop. I'm leaning towards Holland, but I'm not real good with breeds.

I was just searching the forum and see that they are called "airplane" ears. Yippee. I love lops! Thanks for your reply.

I don't think your bunny has "airplane" ears. Airplane ears are ears that stick out horizontally...like an airplane. It is very cute. Your bunny looks like she will have normal lopped ears. I love her expression in the pic... she looks sooooo innocent.

Sharon

She's adorable! I am guessing she's a mini-lop by the shape of her head.

Do you have any photos of her face straight on?

Occasionally, as a young rabbit grows, the cartilage doesn't stiffen enough to keep pace with the rapid growth, and one or both ears fall for up to a month or two. Often they will go up and down depending on heat, humidty, etc.

My young Palomino turned into a lop for several months when he was growing quickly.His earsare now very firmly upright, but it was pretty cute while it lasted. His father's ears drooped just at the tips when he was young, during the hot weather in July and August.

A young true lop's ears will go down and stay down,but yes--airplane ears are common in both purebred lopsand crossbreeds, so you can get a rabbit with one uppie and one downie.:)

Most young lops' ears will be down by five or six weeks old. If Miffy is older than that, it may be just a temporary growth thing. My Pal's ears went down when he was, oh, three months old or so.

Either way, no big deal--she'll be fine, and totally adorable.:D

Rose

EDIT: her size and body shape and fur type are consistent with a four to six week old baby, so it would be just the right time for her to lop if she's going to.

Latest posts

Back