Early Spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnarg

Reaction score
Hey All,

Coming here with a question for a good friend of mine. He is really fallen in love with a rabbit at a local exotic animal vet hospital (very well renown, good reputation, etc.). They usually don't shelter rabbits but this one just happened to fall into their hands, its a 10 week old dutch. The rabbit was fully checked over, full fecal exam and physical everything checked out.

However, the vet hospital and doctor there spayed her already. And when he told me that I said it sounded weird because most females are spayed between 4-7 months of age. So my question, can such an early spaying have a severe impact on her (the rabbits) health going forward?

I can confirm she was neutered, saw the surgical spot, and the rabbit seems perfectly healthy, running and what not so its not like she's had a botched surgery. Im just curious if there are any health repercussions from spaying early (though I trust this exotic vet hospital not to do anything that would truly harm the rabbit).

So my question, can such an early spaying have a severe impact on her (the rabbits) health going forward?

Nope! Both my girls done around 12wks age came out just fine! Best part is the hormonal snot head phase whizzed by.
Ideally she would bounce back faster, she might skip her hormonal phase completely, if she still goes through it - it will be smaller and ideally go by quicker. It WILL NOT stunt her growth. etc etc... honestly no repercussions for early spaying/neutering.

There are pros and cons to early spay neuter that we know about in dogs, particularly large breed dogs, but we don't have studies on those possible effects in rabbits. All the data I know of would support early spay neuter (prevent hormonal behavioral issues, faster recovery time, etc). with the risk being performing anesthesia in a smaller, pediatric patient, but obviously you wouldn't have to worry about that since she's already been spayed!

Latest posts

Back