Early Labor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DestinyLeigh

Reaction score
My rabbit started having her babies this afternoon, she's not due until late next week. Both of the ones she has had so far came out dead. I'm new at breeding and freaking out. I don't know what to do. Can someone please help me??

No. It really don't matter anymore now. I found her dead about 5... :cry1:

Sorry for your loss. :( Binky free, bunny girl.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost the kits and your doe. Losing the doe doesn't happen very often. Did you notice anything 'off' about her behavior or eating habits up to that point? Pregnant does in distress can turn serious very quickly so you may or may not have had time to get her to a vet to save her. Ketosis is one of the things you have to watch for.

It hurt seeing her upset about having dead babies, but going out to see my baby dead hurt even more.. I can't even go check the other rabbits without crying.

I did notice that she was acting really weird for the past 2 days. She normally come up to me, but she just stayed in the corner with her back towards me. I knew something was wrong, but I just thought it was because she lost the babies.

We almost lost a doe to ketosis right after she kindled. She did about the same thing, except her kits were born alive. We got her to the vet just in time, and fostered the babies to another doe.

She wasn't due until next week though, that's what don't make sense. Her sister is due this week, which she was not have.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :( Unfortunately it's one of the (unlikely) possibilities that comes with breeding. Rabbits are so good at hiding illnesses until it's too late.

We almost lost a doe to ketosis right after she kindled. She did about the same thing, except her kits were born alive. We got her to the vet just in time, and fostered the babies to another doe.

What is Ketosis?

It's basically toxemia in rabbits. It doesn't happen very often, and there can be several triggers....obesity, lack of nutrition, or even stress. It can occur during the last week of pregnancy or just after kindling. The doe becomes depressed and won't eat. You have to act quick to save them.

Thanks for y'alls help. In replacement of my doe dying, my grandma surprised me with 2 New Zealand's and 2 Mini Rex's. My babies that I was able to get are doing good. They just opened their eyes and I'm outside 5-6 times a day messing with them. The littlest one out of the bunch always gets in my hand and snuggles up to me. They are really helping me get over losing Peanut. :happybunny:

Back