Ear thermometer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
I always thought to get an accurate temp on a rabbit it had to be done rectally. However, when I was looking through my Drs Foster and Smith magazine today it had this ear thermometer and stated it could be used on rabbits http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21000&prodid=42165&catid=1505

Do you guys think it could give an accurate temp on a rabbit? I have been meaning to get a thermometer but haven't yet. I really don't like the idea of a rectal thermometer so it this would work that would be great. But it is a little expensive to buy it and find out it isn't accurate.

Amy27 wrote:
I always thought to get an accurate temp on a rabbit it had to be done rectally. However, when I was looking through my Drs Foster and Smith magazine today it had this ear thermometer and stated it could be used on rabbits http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21000&prodid=42165&catid=1505

Do you guys think it could give an accurate temp on a rabbit? I have been meaning to get a thermometer but haven't yet. I really don't like the idea of a rectal thermometer so it this would work that would be great. But it is a little expensive to buy it and find out it isn't accurate.
are you meaning a different mouse trap,,i have been looking for a non-intrusive,,means by which to get an accurate temp.reading.//.i have tried thermal,,infared probes--all to no avail,,and right back to the ole anal probe,,and feeling the ears...who knows ,,let me know if this one works/accuracy,,etc..sincerely james waller:big wink:

Ear thermometers like that are not accurate, and as Dana Krempels once pointed out, "bunnies hate having anything stuck in their ears even more than they hate a thermometer stuck up their hineys!" Which is certainly the case in this warren!

Ear clips aren't supposed to be too accurate either, but I forget why.

Some say you can get a better reading from the legpit or armpit using a regular thermometer, but the general consensus is that the best bet is get a plastic or rubber tipped digital and learn how to take it from the rear.

But do learn to do it properly before there's an emergency. (It can be a lifesaver).

There might be a video on it in the Library, and/or one of the Fast Up series from Flick, hopefully someone will post it here.

sas :bunnydance:

My vet used an ear thermometer on one visit--but then never used it again. It did seem less annoying to my bunnies than the traditional way, but it is true that they don't like having things in their ears. I didn't ask why I didn't see the ear thermometer on the next visit because I forgot until now that she had ever used an ear thermometer on my buns.

Latest posts

Back