Ear mites medication

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjd

Reaction score
Hello
I have a rabbit age 3yrs old and weight 2kg indoor rabbit and has ear mites and the vet prescribed her Oridermyl which contains (Permethrin, Neomycin, Nystatin and Triamcinolone) and I want to know is it safe for rabbits? are there better alternatives ?
thanks!

That's not really the appropriate treatment for ear mites in rabbits, and depending on the dosage or amount given, could potentially be harmful.

The correct treatment would be with either 3 doses(minimum)of ivermectin(0.4mg/kg of body weight)14 days apart for each dose administered, or with topical application of Revolution/Stronghold (selamectin) at 18mg per kg of body weight. Treatment and dosing info for ear mites in rabbits in link below.

Medirabbit: ear mites

That's not really the appropriate treatment for ear mites in rabbits, and depending on the dosage or amount given, could potentially be harmful.

The correct treatment would be with either 3 doses(minimum)of ivermectin(0.4mg/kg of body weight)14 days apart for each dose administered, or with topical application of Revolution/Stronghold (selamectin) at 18mg per kg of body weight. Treatment and dosing info for ear mites in rabbits in link below.

Medirabbit: ear mites
The rabbit was given the first dose of Ivermectin as an injectable yesterday (planned to be 4 doses in a month ) in addition to Oridermyl but I haven’t applied it yet.
So are you saying the injections will be enough ?

It depends how bad the ear mites are. If they aren't bad enough that a secondary bacterial or fungal infection has occurred in the ear canal, then yes, the correct ivermectin treatment(right dose, right frequency) will be enough to get rid of the mites. If the mite infestation is really bad and a secondary bacterial or fungal infection has developed in the ear canal, then a separate ear drop is needed to treat the bacterial and/or fungal infection.

The problem with the Oridermyl is that the antibiotic neomycin that is in it, can be ototoxic, which can damage the auditory nerve, affecting the hearing and balance. So there could be some risk with the use of those ear drops.

If your rabbit does have a secondary bacterial infection in the ear canal, enrofloxacin otic drops would be a safer alternative. So though I can't say for certain that using the Oridermyl with neomycin in it, will cause side effects, just know that it is a potential risk.

Ear Drops and Ototoxicity

https://rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

Back