ear issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosalie

Reaction score
I went to the vet and they perscribed Tresaderm with 1-2 drops of ivomectin does that sound right for either ear mites or ear infection

Don't get me going on this one. =P

Tresaderm is what they prescribe but if one of *my* bunnies every gets an ear infection again, that's not the medicine I'm giving them.. I've still got two 1/2 bottles in my fridge. lol I gave it to my rabbit and it didn't really make any difference. I'd just say give the drops but if they recomend and xray at some point, even if you think the infection's probably gone, do the xray. If its for mites that will probably do it (I'd think). For ear inefction , I wouldn't be so sure.

i cant afford to keep bringing her back.. this is really driving me crazy 70 first time 109 a few weeks ago when she wasnt eating and today was 115 i've only had her like 2 months really what am i suppose to do

Depending how bad the issue is and what it really is.
Ear mites may easily be treated by just a dose or 2 of Revolution and cleaning with special ear cleaner.
Infection however will require antibiotics to cure and depending how bad the infection is may depend on the type of antibiotic given.

her ears dont smell, she just has some white powder stuff in them, she scratches her ears some and shakes her head some i took her to the vet and thats what they said to give her so idk what else to do because i cant keep going back and spending so much money and they are the only vet that sees rabbits thats remotely close to me they are like 1 hour away =[ its overwhelming because i love her and i dont want her to hurt but I can only spend so much because I have bills to pay

Well if its just Mites. Dose her with revolution on the high end. (18mg/kg) probably twice. And get some ear cleaner from the vets. Vet ear cleaner compared to others actually helps alter the pH in the ear to make it difficult for anything to live in there, as well as cleans it. Clean the ears daily (to 2x daily) until the issue is resolved.

Others may have other hints for dealing with ear mites.

I called them and they pretty much told me too bad would cost another 50 dollar office visit + whatever else needed to be done as usual i'm not going back there again wish there were more vets who see rabbits

If they have seen your rabbit before. They can sell you a box of revolution WITHOUT having to see your rabbit again!!!
And for the ear cleaner, thats over the counter so you can go into ANY vet and ask to buy a bottle.
Phone around there may be clinics willing to sell you a box of revoltuion without seeing your bun if you explain your story.

Revolution is a perscription drug. The vet needs to give it to you. But they shouldn't be making you take your bun in AGAIN just to get it if he's already seen her.
Sounds like a typical vet money scam. Find a new vet, I wouldn't be going back there.
You don't need a bunny savvy vet to dispense revolution any vet can, however they will probably want to see the animal before they sell it to you. Phone around theres usually 1 or 2 vets out there that will sell it to you without seeing your pet, especially if you tell them what happened and how its a bunny, just say shes been back and forth so much she stresses too easily, etc etc etc...

Latest posts

Back