Ear Infection Question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnoliaDee

Reaction score
I'm wondering how do rabbit's get ear infections? While Jacub was sick I'd let Lego try to care for him also. She'd clean his infected ear, by licking and eating what she could find. Is it possible for her to get an ear infection from eating Jake's infection? I got an otoscope, and I'm going to look in her ears, but I noticed she's digging at her ears a bit and shaking her head. I didn't think anything of it at the time, and now I'm starting to wonder if that was a bad idea?

Most ear infections are caused by the bacteria pasturella. This bacteria is commonly found on rabbits at all times--they are said to carry it at "sub-clinical levels", meaning there is a population of bacteria there that isn't enough to cause a full-on outbreak/disease. The rabbit's immune system keeps the bacterial population in check so that it stays at these low levels, and doesn't have a population explosion leading to disease. What usually happens with an infection that you can see is that the rabbit's immune system is compromised, by stress, an environment change, seasonal change, or another infection (such as E cuniculi). Then it can't keep the pasturella population in check, and the bacteria multiply. The greater number of bacteria cause an active infection, and you get the signs like pus, tilt, scratching, etc.

So, did Lego pick up Pasturella from Jacub? No, she probably was carrying it already. Could a stronger strain of pasturella, or one that is more resistant to some antibiotics have been transferred from him to her? That's possible. Could the stress of caring for and then losing her mate have put her immune system under stress, and allowed the pasturella that were already present to gain a foothold in Lego? Yes, that's certainly possible. She is in a fragile state, emotionally, and thus is also in a medically fragile state too. I'd keep a special eye on her, look in her ears for any pus, and do things to cheer her up and keep her healthy. Keep an eye on her food intake, give her a stuffed animal to snuggle with, spend extra time playing with her, maybe give her some probiotic.

It wasn't a bad idea at all to keep her and Jacub together--separating a bonded pair is probably more stressful than letting her care for him. Did she get a chance to see him after he had passed? Is she constantly looking for him? Some bunnies will do this if one half of a bonded pair is gone. Because most pathogens of rabbits are always present in their system, it's usually best to keep a bonded pair together if one of them is sick. I know it was comforting for both of them to be together, and by doing so you didn't expose her to anything that wasn't already present in her system.

Thanks Clair... this helps me to understand. And to feel good about letting them have some time together while he was sick.

So far Lego is doing well... she's eating and sprawling like normal. Actually, she's even eating better than ever.... trying new greens, etc. Her poops look good too.

I took a look down in her ears with my new otoscope and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I couldn't actually see her ear drum... it must be waaay down there. But hopefully all is well in there.

I didn't think about giving her some of the probiotic... but I will do that also. And I'm definitely giving her as much attention as I can... she's a good one to love on.

Thanks again for the reply!
Sandra

Latest posts

Back