Ear Canker? Or ear wax? white salt sprinkles in fur?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluepez

Reaction score
Ok So here is the story.

One of my bunnies in July had yellow crusties towards the bottom of her ear..big chunks and some stuck some flaky. I treated her first with canola oil I read about online. Seemed to work. Well it didnt..came back. So I got ear mite medicine..followed directions..seemed to work. NOPE.

SO I got revolution...put on her first of sept..and not due till oct first. Got rid of it for a bit..but again..BACK!!

She doesnt itch, shake, or anything regarding symptons.

I have seen pictures of ear canker..but only in the SERIOUS stages. Does anyone have any site showing early? ANd the color is yellow. SO wax or mites? I can not see NOTHING moving..I took some out..and stared at it forever LOL

The white specks on the fur..on her head..and base of ears...looks like salt sprinkles. They again dont move. eggs? EWWW???

I have an appt..on next Tuesday to get in..but need advice please :):)

Misty

Sounds like mites, and if the Revolution worked somewhat, they probably are mites. But you need to clean all the sources of the mites and/or adjust your dosage and/or try again.

They may be in your hay if you use barn hay, or they haven't been washed from the rabbit's bedding or elsewhere in the environment.

If they are in an area where there are wild mice or rats (or cats and dogs), they may be passing on more mites.

Its best to wash everything first and THEN treat the rabbit, otherwise the mites can get on and bite the rabbit before they die off.

PS: Anything that looks like dandruff on the fur or dirt or specs in the ears are usually mites.

sas :twitch:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=17059&forum_id=16

This is an older thread with a pic of ear mites. As far as I know Revolution is used for ear mites but inyour case case 1 dose was not enough or he needs additional treatment.

Vets also have used ivermectiin in the past also but this is difficult to dose yourself if you buy the large animal ivermectin at a farm supply store. It would much better to go the vet and have meds dosed correctly. Some vets give it by injection

please do not try the home remedies (like vinegar)
it is much safer to see the vet....

Here are all our library articles on ear mites; it is very possible that your rabbit has both fur mites and ear mites . Revolution usually will take care of the fur mites but asI said before a vet can take a skin scraping and get a sample . ..so best to go that direction.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11954&forum_id=10

We've used it on shelter rabbits for fur mites . 1 injection per week X 3 ;I have never used it for ear mites ..never had a rabbit with ear mites yet.

I assume the injectible ivermectin would work the best, but you'd have to do the whole treatment.

Revolution is far superior and safer than Ivermectin. Your rabbit most likely has a major infestation. What you are seeing are new mites that have hatched from the eggs left from the inital infestation. That is why you treat for multiple rounds. And it is possible, and quite likely, that someone in your household might be bringing new mites into your house or if your rabbit is an outside rabbit....wildlife or other critters might be transporting new mites into the mix. And when I did use Ivermectin (and I still do on some species)...I have adminstered it orally, injected and transdermally depending on what I needed to control.

Canola oil? Just when you think you have heard it all. Prime example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.....and that goes for all of us. Wonder how this so obviously old and outdated information even made it to the internet.

Randy

Randy-

So on the revolution I read ( lol ) that its used once a month? Should I dose him 2x a month to kill the infestation from the eggs? I know the cycle is 21days..I do not want to OD my rabbit. I DO plan to take him in the vet, but if my vet recommends the ivermectin as you say is not as safe..what would you recommended?

Thank you for your help.

I hate to say it, but the use of oil--canola, olive, or mineral--is sometimes recommended as a treatment for mites. It is supposed to "drown" them. Still an old "breeder's remedy" that people talk about. We often get some good medical advice from some of these old remedies, but the oil for mites one just doesn't cut it.

Latest posts

Back