E. Cuniculi

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleChinta

Reaction score
The sad rescue bunny story that leads up to a possible E. Cuniculi 'infestation'...

Several days ago, a lady came into the store I work at. She seemed concerned about something, so I asked what I could do for her. She told me the story - earlier in the day, she was outside to let her dogs out. Amongst the rain and the wind, she thought she spotted movement in her backyard, near the garbage cans. She went to investigate and found this little mini-lop absolutely drenched, hunched down to keep warm. Apparently, the bunny had been there for some time, according to the amount of droppings she said were there. She then proceeded to call the shelters around the area, and couldn't find anyone to take the bun. Either that, or the little one would have to be put down after a few weeks. Not wanting to have that happen, she came by and was asking if I knew of anyone that could take it. Without hesitation, I called to ask my family if we could keep her for a while, until she found a home.

Fast forward two days and a vet check later, I found out that she was *around* 3-4 years old, a fairly healthy weight (seems slightly underweight to me), with clean ears and decent teeth. We also found out that the cloudiness in her eye was guessed to be E. Cuniculi. There was no surface scarring, and it was definitely not a cataract. I was told the treatments were costly and sometimes non-effective or deadly, and it was recommended that, unless they eye got worse (it looks great now, except for the partial cloudiness), to not worry about it. BUT - I DO!!! :(I want to make sure that she'll be ready for a new home without any impeding difficulties. I have researched E. Cuniculi as much as possible, and have found that the recommended treatment is Baytril and Omeprenzal (sp?), which, even when used with horses as a dewormer, should be administered with caution. Is there something (preferrable naturally) I can do at home to help her immune system to keep the doggone protozoan at bay? I am giving her a teeny bit of probiotics and vitamin C, along with a few veggies (celery, lettuce, carrots) along with a bit of apple (very small bit). She is currently on timothy hay and Oxbow Bunny Basics, alfalfa (I want to use this until she gains the necessay weight, then, if she's still with us, will switch to the Oxbow Timothy). Thanks to all taking the time to read this!

I think you need another opinion. Eye cloudiness is not necessarily EC. The early symptoms of EC usually start with the kidneys and the hind quarters. The cloudiness could very well be an ulcer.

I would also check for worms and coccidia since she was outside for sometime. You would need a fecal sample for that.

Ok, thanks!! I shall look into ulcers and fecal testing. I actually need to have that done on my mare, so maybe I can get a two for one deal! :D

It really kills me to not know what is wrong, and to not have a thorough knowledge of rabbits! Before I ever got into horses or chinchillas, I learned as much as I could, and had the knowledge beforehand, but this really caught me off guard... so I really appreciate the insight!!

Pla725, I will check in on the vet listing and call around. Is BunSpace a forum?

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! I love my furkids!!

I too would make sure that it is not a corneal ulcer, especially since he does not have nystagmus (uncontrollable eye movements), urinary problems, or hind quarter weakness. The way an eye with EC looks is more like there's a white blob of uncertain shape, but with defined edges, within the eye. A cloudy eye would be white with undefined edges--instead of it being something you can trace the outline of, it's just a blurry blob.

I would not give omeprazole to a rabbit as it reduces acid in the GI tract. The bacteria that live in a rabbit's GI tract do well only in acidic environments. It is sometimes given in conjunction with Meloxicam because that pain med can cause damage to the stomach, and reducing stomach acid can help reduce damage from meloxicam to the stomach, but I wouldn't want to do it anyway.

If it is EC, a better treatment would be Marquis, which is an antiparasitic originally developed to treat a horse brain parasite. EC is very similar to that horse parasite, and Marquis does a much better job at eliminating the parasite where it does the most damage--in the brain. Traditional antiparasitics like the bendazoles do not enter the brain well. The generic name for Marquis is ponazuril.

Thanks all for the replies!!! Good news -- we actually found the bunny's family, and, though concerned, I had no qualms giving her back! She apparently has the run of a screened-in porch, and had somehow escaped... they are looking into her escapade and trying to figure out the cause, which will be fixed asap! Yay!! Appreciate all the help you guys have given me!!

Latest posts

Back