E. Cuniculi

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove817

Reaction score
I am in the process of adopting a rabbit from a shelter. While I was there a rabbit passed away from head tilt caused by E. Cuniculi (it also tested positive for pasturella). They said they had had several bunnies test positive for these lately. I don't really know much about either of these conditions. What I am worried about is if the bunny I am adopting was exposed, will she give it to my bunny? And how likely is it that she will develop problems? I am so worried that I'll adopt her and in the end both of them will get sick and possibly die. And I really don't want to put Midas at risk (although he has been with her several times.. so he is already exposed... right?) Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!!

(I don't really have the money to get a E. Cuniculi test done without draining my emergency vet money.. its upwards of 200$ per bunny! )

Almost every domestic bunny tested for EC will come back positive. They are exposed to it from their mother while she's pregnant, and when they're around the urine of a rabbit in the early stages of an active disease. The only bunnies that won't test positive for at least having been exposed to it are some lab rabbits that are raised in extremely hygenic environments.

Do not worry if they have been exposed to EC, and don't bother getting the EC titer unless you see signs of EC. My bf had the titer done on Benjamin when we first got him, and he was positive for it. This was a 6mo old bunny we adopted from a rescue that had taken him out of a shelter.

The EC test, called a titer, is really only useful in an active case of EC to see how well it's being controlled. What it does is measure the amount of antibodies for EC that are in the blood. If the antibody level is higher, you can assume that the levels of EC in the body are higher, so the animal's immune system is going crazy trying to defeat it. That's when the bunny is more susceptible to illness from another pathogen, like pasturella (which is also always present in the rabbit's body). The immune system is working so hard to keep the EC pathogen in check that it cannot defend against the other pathogens. Most rabbits with EC do not die from EC itself, but from a secondary infection from some other bug like pasturella, etc.

So don't worry--they've both been exposed to EC. Just keep them comfy and stress free, and keep on top of any illnesses that pop up, to keep the EC from gaining a foothold and causing an active infection. That's really all you can do, and even then it's a crap shoot.

EC exposure is so prevalent that even if a bunny's bonded partner starts having an active case of EC, you're not supposed to separate them.

Just an added thought....EC itself is not fatal.....it's the improper treatment and the damage from collateral infections and kidney damage. Contrary to what many believe, including most vets, EC does not cause head tilt. The head tilt, as well as the other roving infections suffered by EC rabbts, is caused by a compromised immune system that takes the EC as the primary threat and concentrates on that infection. The immune system drops it's guard against the sub-clinical infections that are lurking. Most vets have never actually seen a full blown case of EC. And very few know how to treat EC. The standard treatments, basically the "bendazoles" are ineffective since it is almost impossible for those drugs to penetrate the blood/brain barrier. I have had surprising success using a drug called Ponazuril (Marquis). It is used in horses to treat a similar parasite that causes Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM).

Randy

Back