dwarf type rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magic_girl

Reaction score
hi i want to buy some dwarf type rabbits what kind should i get ?? i own mini rex's and 2 polish rabbit's but would like to get some dwarf rabbits started.thank you

The breed you might consider is going to depend on your personal goals and expectations.

Will you be showing, keeping them as pets, breeding, selling? If you are showing, do you want a breed that is not very competitive, or one that has a lot of competition? If you are selling, you'll want to consider more popular breeds over breeds that are hard to sell. Some breeds make better pets than others. Is cost a factor? Some breeds are very expensive. Some breeds are also very rare and difficult to find.

Is amount of grooming or other special needs a factor?

Would you consider a hyper breedsuch asthe Britannia Petite, or do you desire a very docile breed such as the Himalayan?

Some small breeds (but not necessarily dwarfs) include: Britannia Petite, Netherland Dwarf, Himalayan, Dwarf Hotot, Polish, Mini Rex, Mini Satin, Jersey Wooly, Dutch, American Fuzzy Lop, Holland Lop, Thrianta, Florida White, Tan, Silver, Havana and the Mini Lop.

The Polish is an excellent starter breed becausethey common in most areas and can generally be purchased for a reasonable cost, they are easy to breed and produce a high number of showable offspring,theyarevery hardy, are docile, little grooming is necessary, and they are easy to sell. They also come in an interesting variety of colors.

Pam

I LOVE my Holland Lop Violet! she's very sweet and out going. but it really would depend on what you want to do with them. but Vi is def. a people bun!

i would like to get 2 does and 2 bucks dwarf type for breeding and pet use if anyone know what type of dwarf should i get and how many kits do they have?? thank you

pamnock wrote:
The Polish is an excellent starter breed becausethey common in most areas and can generally be purchased for a reasonable cost, they are easy to breed and produce a high number of showable offspring,theyarevery hardy, are docile, little grooming is necessary, and they are easy to sell. They also come in an interesting variety of colors.

Pam
Pam...I think you need to meet my Princess...honestly, this board is the only place where I call her by her official name...she has a very nice nickname that's not board friendly lmao.

okiron wrote:

Pam...I think you need to meet my Princess...honestly, this board is the only place where I call her by her official name...she has a very nice nickname that's not board friendly lmao.

There's always those black sheep that don't follow in their breed's general temperament ;)

Pam

magic_girl wrote:
i would like to get 2 does and 2 bucks dwarf type for breeding and pet use if anyone know what type of dwarf should i get and how many kits do they have?? thank you

By "Dwarf type", are you specifically looking into Netherland Dwarfs? They generally don't have litters of more than 8. I generally don't recommend the Dwarf Hotots as a starter breed due to some heredity problems, although Netherland Dwarfs also carry some genes that can be a challenge (dwarfing gene, max factor).

Pam

I is a sweet heart! you wants buns likes me!

see------
BabyViolet12weeksoldNov2007002.jpg
?

Kissies!!

Violet Bun

Violet........BAD BUNNY! honestly, i don't know what to do with her! sorry:D

Anna(Violet's Mommy:D)

Are you wanting a breed with the dwarf gene, and do you know about that and peanut babies (type of fatal runt)? If I remember right, Polish don't have the dwarf gene and so don't have that problem.

I really recommend going to shows (BTW what country do you live in? It helps us a lot) and talking to breeders and judges about the different breeds. Breed personalities, genetic issues, how competitive it is, etc. Watch the judging and learn what to look for in good show and breeding rabbits. And find out which breeders have good reputations. Once you know what you want, choose an experienced breeder to buy from and ask her to choose several rabbits that would be good to start a breeding program with. Compatible color genes, they balance each others traits (i.e. one has too long of ears and the other has shorter ears), etc.

Oh, and I'll second that Dwarf Hotots are not good to start with. No, I don't breed them or breed at all. But I am all too familiar with their genetic intestinal issues.:(

Latest posts

Back